Cost-effective floss...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ghotieyes

Cost-effective floss...

#1 Post by ghotieyes »

Went to the market to pick up floss threaders.

25-pack of threaders = $3.19
50-pack of Oral B Superfloss = $3.59

Per pack, the threaders are cheaper, but per use, Superfloss would be, unless I reuse threaders, which I wouldn't do with Superfloss. Do people usually reuse them??

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

I use Oral B superfloss and pay roughly the same as you do taking into account exchange rates. I use one thread on both arches, then chuck it out.

amd

#3 Post by amd »

I use dental tape, not floss. It's a bit thicker. I use a threader to get to some teeth. I was given a pack of 10 threaders from my ortho and still have all of them. I don't slide those through me teeth, just under the wire. They don't really "get dirty", and I rinse them off when I'm done. The dental tape is about $3.50 here and I use that quite a bit.
amd
"I suffer from short term memory loss...I think"

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

I use regular floss and threaders. I reuse the threaders because they only go under the wire, not between my teeth. I did try Superfloss but I still couldn't easily get to my back teeth with it. I find the threader makes the job easier.

Pirate Wench

#5 Post by Pirate Wench »

I use the Super Floss......I use one thread for both arches and then toss it. I found it so much easier than the threaders and regular floss. I pay about he same as the rest for the Super Floss and I figure for the short time I will have the braces on (21-27 months) it is definately worth the cost! :D I think it cut my flossing time in about half when I started using the Super Floss. :jump:

The only issue I have had with the Super Floss is that occationally the hard end isn't hard all the way to the end and I have to cut the end to the hard part. :? That is definately no reason to stop using it tho. With the time it saves me.....it doesn't make any difference to me if I have to cut it myself to the hard part!

NikkiB

#6 Post by NikkiB »

I have found my favorite floss and more often than not, I don't need to use a threader. It is the OralB Satin floss. I am absolutely IN LOVE with it! I have had the same spool for quite some time so I am not sure what the cost is, however I know that it is relatively inexpensive. :D

LithpingLitha

#7 Post by LithpingLitha »

I no longer need floss threaders for my uppers. I'm sure that will change once the lower arch is braced. :wink:
22 months in treatment (upper ceramics, gelb on lower arch and then self-ligating brackets), hawley retainers
LithpingLitha's Braces Story

pcgal

#8 Post by pcgal »

I just found the Superfloss and its great! Threading the floss is such a pain and it kept coming unthreaded. Awesome invention!

*boom!*

#9 Post by *boom!* »

I have the Superfloss right now and really don't like it compared to Glide Threader Floss. Does anyone use that? It doesn't have the "puffy" section and doesn't shred at all.
[/url]

pcgal

#10 Post by pcgal »

Whoops...that's what I am using (the Glide) and I love it. I don't think I've tried the Superfloss. Sorry.... :oops:

Betty Bat

#11 Post by Betty Bat »

I use Oral-B Satin Floss. I found out that it has enough of a "curl" to it that I can thread it around my wires with very little trouble - boy, was I proud of myself when I learned that trick! I have to use a floss threader on the very back teeth occasionally, just depending on how dexterous I feel that day.

The best threader IMHO is Dentek. They are shorter than other threaders, and have a nice curve to them. I plan on using them for some of my crafts when I get done with my braces - they look like big plastic needles and I could use them with my weaving and knitting. :-)

So, I don't like the "premade" floss plus threader and the floss with the stiff ends. They are expensive as you pointed out, the floss itself isn't as nice as the Satin Floss, and the length of floss is always much longer than I use. Hope this helps you - just go back to the basics.

mikey

#12 Post by mikey »

I too use Oral-B Satin Floss (or Satin Tape) with no floss threader. It's really nice. Before braces I sometimes used glide, but found that satin floss was even nicer (easier to get between tight teeth) and continued to use it upon getting braces.

The satin tape is more expensive than the satin floss because they give only half the length, but because it is about twice as wide (not thick) it doesn't stretch as much. With the tape, one piece does both arches always, but with the floss I sometimes need to use a second piece.

Damon 3 Top 6/21/06. Damon 3MX Bottom 11/7/06.