Cheap Sonic , expensive Sonic, any difference?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

CanehdianGal

Cheap Sonic , expensive Sonic, any difference?

#1 Post by CanehdianGal »

Over a month in my braces and I still can't make a decision on which toothbrush brand to purchase..I tried for under $5 The colgate sonic..I didn't like the feel of the sonic vib against my teeth/brace...Am I supposed to brush normally with those. Is there a huge difference is sensation with the expensive sonics? How do u brush with a Sonic..Just leave the toothbrush on the brace and let it do it's work? ugh so many questions sorry.

Has anyone tried the Oral B Vitalitys or any Oral B electric?..oye another question..lol

Danielle

#2 Post by Danielle »

I've never tried the Sonic line... I swear by my Rotadent--yes, it is expensive, but it's so worth it. I just got back from an adjustment and once again I received high marks in the brushing & flossing department.

I know my brother just loves the Vitality I bought for him... whatever brush you decide on just make sure it's one that works for you!
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present

Betty Bat

#3 Post by Betty Bat »

I can't comment specifically on the Colgate Sonic brush. It looks like it might be available in Canada but not in the US?

But, I switched from a Crest Spinbrush, which I received in my ortho goodie bag, to a Sonicare 7300. And, the two of them are LIGHT YEARS apart! I love my Sonicare (and I know that are others who don't love Sonicare but love their Oral-B's) and feel that it does a much better job than the Spinbrush. I bought my Sonicare off Ebay, so the price wasn't too bad.

My non-brace-wearing husband is also using the Sonicare now - his dentist said he was wearing the enamel off his teeth with the manual brush.

Delag

#4 Post by Delag »

I have an oral b sonic. I don't think there is a huge difference between brands, it is just a matter of what you get used to. I got mine just because I was walking by in a wholesale club and it jumped off the shelf all by itself. As to the difference between a cheaper model and a more expensive model within the same brand, I tend to think you get more cleaning power with the higher end product. The latest tech stuff always costs more....now as to if you need it..... No, you don't NEED it. I do feel I get a better clean with my sonic than with my manual. Last but not least - the sensation - it does take a bit of getting used to. When I first got mine (pre braces) I swore up and down about how much I hated that little sucker, but I had spent so much money (I am truely cheap at heart) that I wasn't going to give up without a fight. After about 2 weeks I was hooked. Start with the lower speed setting and work your way up. When you think about all of the ways you can blow 80 bucks (cute shoes, dinner+ wine, junk you don't need at wal mart that just looks so fun,) this is pretty harmless. :wink:

raninhas

#5 Post by raninhas »

How do you brush with an automatic brush? You just tutn it on, put it on your teeth and let it do all the work? Or you brush like you do with a manual one?

raninhas

#6 Post by raninhas »

Thank you KK, I'll do that! In 3 hours I'll be on my ortho's chair. I'm getting more and more excited by the minute.
I'll ask my ortho to show me how to brush and floss. I've been doing it all wrong then :? :? I use an automatic one and I use it like a manual. But it's not that strong, is weak. Oh, gosh, feeling quite stupid right now.

CanehdianGal

#7 Post by CanehdianGal »

So how do u brush with a Sonic?

Lisa65

#8 Post by Lisa65 »

I'm one of those people who just didn't get on with the Sonic brush. I found my teeth were getting very stained. Admittedly I am a smoker but I'd never had dirty looking teeth before, so I swapped back to the Oral-B spinbrush and within a week all the stains had gone.

CanehdianGal

#9 Post by CanehdianGal »

Thankyou everyone...Much appreciated :)

Dark_angel

#10 Post by Dark_angel »

I love my braun oral b sonic, cost me around £60 but i'd never go back to a manual or cheaper electric again. It leaves the teeth feeling really clean and my teeth seemed to have whitened up a little too.

Try looking around on ebay for a good deal.

ngbraces

#11 Post by ngbraces »

I see an e3000 Sonicare at 30 bucks shares the same kind of brush head with other expensive e-series Sonicare's. So, e3000 should have similar result. I bought one and so far I'm happy with it. I feel my teeth much cleaner than when I use the Spinbrush. My sister loves her Oral B toothbrush. I think the choice is just personal preference. :-}
Full Metal Mouth

TheShmo

#12 Post by TheShmo »

I have the Oral-B Vitality Sonic... I love it :) It only cost me $18 here in NM, USA... I am so glad that someone asked how to use a sonic toothbrush, b/c I have always used mine like a manual, too... I have had some gum irritation lately, so I think that may be the culprit... I will try to brush the proper way, and see if it clears up! Thanks everyone :)

mikey

#13 Post by mikey »

So how do u brush with a Sonic?
Just wanted to mention one thing ... my sonicare manual says to hold the bristles at a 45 degree angle so that the bristles point up at the gums (assuming the upper teeth) or down at the gums (for the lower teeth).

I believe this is to avoid hurting your gums. It is a technique that two hygienists recommended to me for using a manual toothbrush as well.

See pages 7 & 8 of:

http://www.sonicare.com/owners/essence_ ... 015373.pdf

Page 8 also has a suggestion for braces.

Overall, I really like my sonicare (essence 5300); compared with manual brushing, it is much easier to use effectively.

Damon 3 Top 6/21/06. Damon 3MX Bottom 11/7/06.