Books on orthodontic proceedures for the patient.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

loulou123

Books on orthodontic proceedures for the patient.

#1 Post by loulou123 »

Was wondering if anyone can help me find a book on Orthodontics thats aimed at adults? im a bit of a book lover and itd be great for me to have a book explaining wot was going on etc.

Have looked on amazon etc and they do a lot but they are meant for the student orthodontists and i was hoping for something abit simpler to understand.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks. :lol:

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

Dr Jon Harrow

#2 Post by Dr Jon Harrow »

:) Hi Loulou
saw your posting about books on orthodontics, i think to the best of my knowledge they all tend to be aimed towards students, how about asking your orthodontist the questions you need answers to, i personally found mine a little slack on the knowledge/information front, but then i think that is a trait of UK practitioners (i suppose i can say that), my work colleagues hate 'know it all' patients for instant..im in the minority in that i actually love having patients who want to become partners in their treatment...alas for you my area is psychiatry, not orthodontics, but keep on with plugging away..its your body, remember that.
if i find out any more info i will keep you posted...i actually was given some leaflets...complete rubbish, and so old and out of date it was unbelievable..but then that is the NHS, out dated and outmoded in many senses and i think our private practitioners in the UK are still party to that
I'm sure someone on this forum could help with any questions as well, i found out about power springs very quickly by posting a question, and I had previously spent hours on Google with no joy.
Good luck!! :)
Jon XX

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

Just wondering...what sort of information would you want such a book to contain? How technical would you want it to get?
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

loulou123

#4 Post by loulou123 »

Urmm well id like it so that it explains exactly whats going on, im going to have double surgery as well as the braces.

Not too technical but i do have an alevel in human biology so could handle some techinal speak.

I dont mind if its very detailed as long as i can actually understand it, as the few i have found have been very advanced for those training to become orthodontists or facial surgons, and the ordinary person has no chance of understanding 99% of them! :roll:

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

Lisa65

#5 Post by Lisa65 »

Well this one can't be too technical. It's aimed at dentists with an "interest" in orthodontics. Amazon lets you peek at a couple of pages and it didn't look incomprehensible. I'd have thought an intelligent layperson would understand most of it, perhaps with some help from the internet. It's not cheap though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/o/ASIN/01926318 ... 90-0695852

Graceful58

Orthodontics for Dummies??

#6 Post by Graceful58 »

I was just thinking how nice it would be if the series of "...for Dummies" books were to create one titled Othodontics for Dummies. :) That would be a great idea I think. :)

For all of us who have so many questions. :)