Got My Spacers Today!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ccrisis

Got My Spacers Today!

#1 Post by ccrisis »

Just got back from the ortho. He put in 8 spacers. It was not painful or uncomfortable in the least. I understand I'll probably be sore later on. Does it get alot worse? Is this really the worst part? I sincerely hope so, because if it is this will be a piece if cake. Getting braced on 3/9.

Jenny5

#2 Post by Jenny5 »

Congrats on getting your treatment underway! Many of us have not had the best experiences with spacers (wait a few days...) but hey, you only wear them for 1-2 weeks, so even though they can be a bit of an annoyance, they're very temporary. Mine were pretty bad the first week, but by the second week, while they still weren't pleasant, I was used to them. I'm actually glad I had them because it made braces feel great in comparison!! Well, hopefully your spacers experience will be better than mine, but if not, your bday should be right around the corner! Good luck!

Nawners

#3 Post by Nawners »

From my experience, spacers were DEFINITELY worse than the braces. I've only had my braces for 11 days, but the spacers were pure misery.
I had the spacers for two weeks, and the first week wasn't bad. A little uncomfortable, and fairly annoying. The second week was almost unbearable. I'm probably being a little dramatic about it, but mouth pain is the worst pain, and it was pretty bad.
I lost three different spacers in that two weeks, and just having one gone was a huge relief. They all did have to be replaced, :? but when they were finally removed for good on my brace day, it was SO nice... Hence, my signature below. :wink:
I certainly am not trying to scare you about spacers, just giving my experience. Try to remain positive, this is the shortest part of the whole treatment.
Also, as KK will say, warm salt water rinses!!! They honestly do help! :)
Congratulations, and good luck with your braces journey!
~There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus~

ccrisis

#4 Post by ccrisis »

Thanks so much for sharing your spacers experiences. And no, you're not scaring me at all. I'm the type of person who likes to know what may be ahead so that I can prepare myself. I thought it may have gone a little too easily today. I will only have the spacers in until Friday (is it unusual to only have them for five days?). So how have the braces been so far?

Rutger

S[acers

#5 Post by Rutger »

I started 5 weeks ago with spacers on the top only, they couldn't get them in at the bottom. It hurt but then that is par for the course, the pain gets replaced by something else. I have now pretty bad hot/cold sensitivity. Buy a big bottle of Ibuprofen.
One other thing to expect, with the spacers your teeth can move a lot and very fast. I quickly developed a very bad contact that prevented me from putting any other teeth together and the two contact teeth eventually got extremely sensitive. That is finally getting better this week so there is an end to that as well (at least until the next appointment...).
Rutger

Rutger

Spacers

#6 Post by Rutger »

I started 5 weeks ago with spacers on the top only, they couldn't get them in at the bottom. It hurt but then that is par for the course, the pain gets replaced by something else. I have now pretty bad hot/cold sensitivity. Buy a big bottle of Ibuprofen.
One other thing to expect, with the spacers your teeth can move a lot and very fast. I quickly developed a very bad contact that prevented me from putting any other teeth together and the two contact teeth eventually got extremely sensitive. That is finally getting better this week so there is an end to that as well (at least until the next appointment...).
Rutger

jumbie

#7 Post by jumbie »

I made the mistake of putting getting some fillings done and getting spacers the same day. I walked out of the ortho thinking I was handling things well, ate as normal...that is until the anaesthia wore off!! Then it was extremely uncomfortable. I was eating Ambesol like candy.

jumbie

#8 Post by jumbie »

I made the mistake of getting some fillings done and getting spacers the same day. I walked out of the ortho thinking I was handling things well, ate as normal...that is until the anaesthia wore off!! Then it was extremely uncomfortable. I was eating Ambesol like candy.

Nawners

#9 Post by Nawners »

So how have the braces been so far?
:) Great!! I had one minor problem the second and third days, a sore on my tongue from the cleat on the back of one of the molar bands. But a few rinses with salt water cleared it right up. I also woke up with two sore teeth on Friday morning, but they're only sore when I bite into something.
The sore teeth aren't an issue to me at all, I barely notice them.

I'm sure this is the so-called 'calm before the storm', but so far I have had a very positive experience!
~There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus~

nancoy

#10 Post by nancoy »

Whoever invented spacers, I am guessing, didn't try them on for themselves. I had to wear them for 3 weeks. They felt fine after the first week or so, but three days before I got my braces, several of my spacers broke so I had to have them put back in and suffer all over again, actually the second ones hurt more then the first ones did. ~Nancy

viewtopic.php?t=17426

Jenny5

#11 Post by Jenny5 »

I will only have the spacers in until Friday (is it unusual to only have them for five days?)
I would call that lucky! My ortho said 1-2 weeks for me, so there's not a huge difference between 5 days and 7. My molars moved really quickly and probably created a big enough space within the first 4-5 days. Also, since you said there wasn't much of a problem getting them in, yours might not have to move as much. My assistant had to struggle quite a bit to get mine in.
So how have the braces been so far?
Great! I've had mine for a month now and haven't had any major problems -- no pain, very little discomfort. The only thing is I'm just now starting to find my braces to be sharp (I don't know why because they felt fine before), but if I used the wax and did salt water rinses, I wouldn't have that problem. :oops: I'm adding them to my routine starting today. Other than that, eating takes a little getting used to, but now I can eat almost anything and not even think about it (a fact you will have a hard time believing when you first take them out for a spin). I have my first adjustment in 2 days...we'll see how that goes, but I'm not too worried. :D

How are the spacers today?

ccrisis

#12 Post by ccrisis »

OK, now I see what you all mean. It's the morning after spacers (my birthday!!). I made myself a nice breakfast of pumpernickel toast, bacon and scrambled eggs. After one bite each of the bacon and toast (which I had to spit out), I ended up sucking down the eggs and a glass of juice. I cannot chew at all, as my back teeth all ache from the spacers and my front teeth don't make contact with each other because of my overbite/overjet. I guess I'm pretty lucky that I'll only have them in until Friday. Thanks to everyone for the warning!!! I understand that it will get worse still, but now I'm prepared.

Jenny5

#13 Post by Jenny5 »

Happy Birthday!!!

Ha, yeah, I remember trying to eat scrambled eggs thinking it was a great idea and I couldn't even chew them. Or oatmeal for that matter. Try to cut up your food as small as humanly possible. Well, for me, the first day or two after they were put in were the worst and then it got a little better, so maybe this is the worst of it. My ortho said everyone tells her that spacers are the worst part of their whole treatment, so here's hoping that the rest is a downward slope for you!

spaced*out

#14 Post by spaced*out »

Spacers is the worst so far for me and I have had a total of 10 in my mouth . I've had teeth extractions and bands put on and spacers were awful for me because my teeth were so tight together . I am sceduled to get braced and my appliances put in on march 13 and its not to long away so wish me luck. :D

Ives

#15 Post by Ives »

Hey ccrisis,
Hope things are getting better. I had 12 spacers ( still have 2 of them ).
Same as you, thought " what's the big deal " then the next morning, WOW. I fixed myself a big meal for breakfast and chucked most of it in the disposal. Ate the eggs with a big glass of milk.
I only had mine on for 7 days before getting braced last thursday. The two I have left are to make a little more room for my last 2 bands. Things were still tight. Going in monday to have them put in.

Good Luck

Ives
Braced March 1st 07