Eating problems

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mary88

Eating problems

#1 Post by mary88 »

Hi everyone, I am new and have a question. I was braced 0n 7/26/07 full metal upper and lower with 6 molar bands and also 2 I will call them springs of some sort on my uppers near my canines. I understand it takes time but I am still unable to chew anything. Everything I eat I have to cut up into little peices and swallow whole. I feel like my teeth are going to fall out and shatter in a million pieces if I put any pressure on them, they are also very sore and tender. Is this normal 9 days into it? I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Jenny5

#2 Post by Jenny5 »

I was braced 0n 7/26/07
Are you...from the future? :shock: Just teasing, Mary. :wink: It took me about 2 weeks before I could eat without experiencing some degree of soreness coming from one tooth or another and I don't have springs or anything "extra" (only 4 molar bands for me), so I'd imagine that would make it even more difficult. The more you try to chew, even though it hurts, the faster your mouth will start to feel better. If the pain is extreme though, I'd contact your ortho. You definitely shouldn't be in agony.

jabberwocky

#3 Post by jabberwocky »

ha, i don't even have braces yet and i'm already missing food! i have the spacers right now and i haven't been able to eat any real food since monday. It really makes me quite sad. I am a very food oriented person. I joke with my boyfriend and say that "braces are going to be the best diet, ever."

mary88

#4 Post by mary88 »

Sorry about the date guys I meant 2/26/07. And to answer your question about prior dental care yes I had numerous dental appts before being braced(you name it I had it done) I had all my fillings replaced, two extractions due to still having babyteeth(yes babyteeth at 39 years old)and a cleaning so I don,t think it is that.

Cynnamin

#5 Post by Cynnamin »

Usually after an adjustment, I get extremely sore. When I first had my spaces, I was in so much pain from them - and they were put on right before thanksgiving!! I had to eat soooo slowly and carefully I finally excused everyone from our big dinner because I felt awkward still eating while everyone was done - and they all just laughed and said "we're here because we're talking, not because you're a slowpoke!"

It was very annoying at first having to cut everything so little but I also practiced chewing on different sides to spread out the pressure. Another trick I learned - this is sort of gross but it helps (my hygenist recommended it) Instead of chewing all the time, you can soften the food up with your teeth and then press it against the roof of your mouth or the back of your front teeth with your tongue to break it into smaller pieces. That way you still get to taste everything but don't have all the pain of chewing.

My favorite foods for when I'm very sore are:
- Soup, especially chicken noodle with the tiny noodles, you can just slurp it down without chewing
- Mashed potatoes with cheese and crumbled bacon
- Deli sliced turkey/roast beef/etc - the thinner the slices, the better
- Omelettes! You can put anything in them as long as its chopped small - even brocolli and carrots!!
- Pasta! Nothing beats lasagna!! It's soft and mushy and very filling! And it doesn't take long to eat![/list]

loulou123

#6 Post by loulou123 »

Sorry to hear your having such a bad time....it really does get better tho. Ive had my braces on for 8 months now but spent the first week or so eating only soft and mushy foods.

My favourite tips are:
Shepards Pie, can actually be swallowed with no chewing
Soup, boring i know
Ice cream, refreshes your mouth and is very cooling if teeth are sore

Gradully build up until you can manage harder things, before my last adjustment i was able to eat everything i could before being braced, including gum, crisps and popcorn.

Hope you feel better v soon. :D

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

nickym

#7 Post by nickym »

Hi Mary, I know exactly how you feel. I've had my braces on for a week and I'm still on soft foods! I tried eating some fish today but it was so chewy I gave up! It's very frustrating and makes you wonder if you'll ever be able to chew again! But I've had lots of reassuring responses from people on this website saying that it gets easier, hopefully before too long! Hope things get easier for you soon! Good luck!

mary88

#8 Post by mary88 »

Thanks Nicky, I hope things get better soon also. I am going on a cruise for my anniversary in a week and I am wondering how I am going to manage eating or should I say lack of. After looking at everyones pics I think I have a lot more "accesories" per say. Even when I do eat something really soft everything ends up in my molar band (Ihave 6) and it causes agreat amount of added pressure to my teeth. Not to mention the twenty minutes I then spend trying to get everything out of the bands and springs. I am now finding that I just don't eat because it just isn't worth it all.

nickym

#9 Post by nickym »

Mary, sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. I'm sure you'll enjoy the cruise anyway, it'll probably take your mind off the braces. I'm sure they'll be some soft things on the menu that you'll be able to eat too. Also, a lot can happen in a week and you may find your teeth are less sensitive by then. I know what you mean about all the brushing, it's a pain but everyone says you get used to it. I managed to chew some rice today without swallowing it whole and getting indigestion! Getting there slowly ;)

Cynnamin

#10 Post by Cynnamin »

I am so jealous! You're going on a cruise!! I'm trying to plan one and I just can't decide where to go!

The fantastic thing about cruises is that you have the choice of so many foods usually, especially if they have one the 24 hour (or 18 hour) buffets where you can get anything you like at any time of the day. My mother-in-law said that there were a LOT of choices of soft foods on her cruise so you should be okay.

Just keep a glass of water at hand and swish after every two or three bites - that might help keep some of the larger bits out of your bands.

Something funny about eating with braces though... I'd only been in mine about a month when I went out for sushi. It was one of the most embarrassing experiences I'd ever had. The rice had gotten into the pouch between my bottom teeth and my lip - I had a layer of rice pockets!!!

I was out with friends and every 5 or 6 pieces, apparently I was making this horrible grimace face trying to discreetly pull the rice out with my tongue. A friend remarked that my lower lip looked very full and I blushed and said "Yeah, rather than botox, I get rice treatments." Everyone looked at me like "Ooh what's that!" until I said "Yeah, I got some rice stuck, give me a napkin!"

In retrospect, it was hilarious. At the time, I was mortified!! I have since figured out how to keep that from happening because I can't give up sushi.

I have noticed that a week or two after getting an adjustment, my teeth feel HORRIBLY loose in my mouth, like the only thing keeping them IN is the wire. I also get extremely sore at my molar bands. After several weeks though, my teeth solidify up and the molar bands eventually stop hurting as well.

Drinking cool drinks or eating ice cream or gelato really helps soothe the soreness if you can tolerate the cold. I also use a waterjet to massage my gums and that helps a lot. It took me nearly two weeks after getting my braces on to get to semi-solid foods.

Bear with it, it will get better! :)

ncgirl

#11 Post by ncgirl »

Mary88...glad you asked this question because I've been wondering the same thing: WHAT TO EAT?! I've had spacers on for only a week and have had a very difficult time eating. I also had three baby teeth removed two days prior to having spacers put on. Needless to say, it hasn't been a "fun"week! lol. I was in pain for several days after all of that happened. (See, you aren't the only one with baby teeth to remove. I had 3 left...and I'm 34 years old. My dentist jokingly told me that I needed to take them home & put them under my pillow so my husband would give me some money. HA!) Anyway, I go back to the ortho today to have my spacers replaced. I'm assuming this means that they're putting larger ones in....and the pain will start again. The good news is that my top braces go on next Thursday (Mar 15th). I'm excited that the process has started, but eating is going to be a challenge. It's good to see I'm not the only one in this boat! :D

Thanks to everyone else who has shared ideas on things to eat. It's good info for us "Newbies". I also noticed that there is a cookbook at Dentakit.com that is especially for people with braces. You might want to check that out too. I think I'm going to order a copy. It can't hurt to have some new ideas ready to go.

Hope everyone has a good day!

mary88

#12 Post by mary88 »

ncgirl, I hope everything goes well for you on the15th. I,m happy to hear I am not the only adult dealing with those pesky baby teeth. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't need braces. The only thing that has saved me is yogurt shakes and cutting up my food into miniscule pieces and swallowing it without chewing. I try to chew it, but it is like my teeth no longer have the strength to break it up. Well one good thing has come of it, I am down 9 pounds since this whole ordeal started(2weeks with spacers and 10 days with braces). Oh well I will be thankful when I have to put on that bikini next week on the cruise. Thanks again to all for your encouraging words and support. Mary88

JoviFan

#13 Post by JoviFan »

ok - regarding food, this may be a silly question -- but am I 'allowed' to bite into a sandwich or pizza????? It won't break the brackets or bend the wire, would it???? I know the real hard/crunch stuff is a no-no...but what about normal everyday food???? I've been either cutting up my sandwiches or if it's PB&J breaking off bite size pieces and eating it that way.....which at home is fine. .. but out is sort of funny...
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

lionfish

#14 Post by lionfish »

JoviFan, if you're up to it you can bite into a sandwich or pizza. I do this regularly and it hasn't resulted in any breakages. And you don't have to feel awkward about cutting up your food when you're out.

JoviFan

#15 Post by JoviFan »

lionfish wrote:JoviFan, if you're up to it you can bite into a sandwich or pizza. I do this regularly and it hasn't resulted in any breakages. And you don't have to feel awkward about cutting up your food when you're out.
Thanks!!! I just wasn't sure if it was a 'no-no' to do or not! LOL .....I did try a little yesterday....things felt a little funny - not sure if becuz I haven't done it in 5+weeks or cuz my teeth are tender on and off...will try again sometime in the comfort of my own home :) :)
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07