Rough Ortho Assistant!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MsTiaLia

Rough Ortho Assistant!!!

#1 Post by MsTiaLia »

So I've had my braces for about 13 months now and here is a first...

I had an adjustment earlier this week and the assistant was EXTREMELY rough! Even when she put my ligs on it hurt! She just wasn't gentle at all. So, the day after my appointment, I realized that my wire was poking me on one side. I called the office and who do I get but the harsh assistant! I tell her about my wire (thinking that she would ask me to come in so she could clip it). To my surprise, she says, "Well, do you think you can get back there with some scissors or fingernail clippers?" Of course, I'm a little caught off guard, so I sit there silent for a few seconds before saying, "you mean in the back of my mouth?" She says yes. I explain that I can BARELY get back there to floss! Then, she offers for me to come in. But I'm just thinking, is she serious??? Fingernail clippers? In my mouth???????? I can just see myself clipping a nice hole in my cheek and ending up in the emergency room for a tetanus shot!!! How crazy?!? I won't be sitting in her chair EVER again!!!

MsTiaLia

#2 Post by MsTiaLia »

KK wrote: Was your ortho aware of her behaviour :?:
No, I don't think he was aware of it, but he was actually pretty aggravated with her that day anyway. They were very busy and she kept asking him really stupid questions! Well, I know that no question is a stupid question (supposedly) but she kept asking him questions that he had already answered! The bad thing about it is she was so nice. I don't think she meant any harm...her bedside manner is just horrible!!!

Kat

#3 Post by Kat »

HA! Fingernail clippers is advised all over the net and at the orthos office. I won't try it for fear of the end of the wire flying of and swallowing it.

I have a assistant that is rough too, every time I go they give me her. She is very nice but is so rough that when she slips--and she does it a lot--I almost come out of the chair! I'm not kidding I jump because of pain and she looks at me like wow you sure are sensitive.
When taking off my ligs she damn near kills me with pain, I have to tell her EVERY TIME "my teeth are pretty sensitive can you please be careful?"
This really sucks.

You would think with all the kids they dee they would know we hurt.
It's almost like a assembly line kind of in a way, hate to say it.

They don't mean harm but will it ever change...(Yes, only if the employee does) :wink:

BlueeyedManda

#4 Post by BlueeyedManda »

My ortho's office has said never ever cut the wire yourself, if it flies back (i guess the clipping) it can lodge in your mouth or gums and cause all sorts of problems.
I told them I was going to bend it myself one day and they were all shocked and said it only takes a minute to clip them so if they are a bother at all don't hesitate to come in. Makes me feel better, it just doesnt always work with my work schedule.
Braces to be removed June 2007!!! In time for the big day!

nancoy

#5 Post by nancoy »

Was the assistant new? Maybe you should tell her, if she doesn't know she is being rough she can't work on being gental. I am a nailtech and I can tell you that nail clippers don't belong in the month, keep them away from the mouth, if you must clip wire before toenails :lol: I did notice they were using cuticle nippers to cut my wire the other day. I wanted to clip my hang nails while I was waiting for the orthro. Most of our nail implements did come from the dental industry so that explains why she told you that but it would be very unsanitary. You can use the eraser part of the pencil and push the wire down so it wont keep poking you till you can make it to the Dr. office.

MsTiaLia

#6 Post by MsTiaLia »

No, she wasn't new. She's been there since I got my braces over a year ago! I told the office manager about it and she just said that the next time she grabs my chart and calls me back tell her that I am waiting on the next person. I thought that might be a little rude, but I really can't take the pain, so whatever! Good thing she's an assistant and not the Ortho! :D

Blackcat

#7 Post by Blackcat »

Thats horrible for you! I agree with nancoy maybe she doesn't realise she's being so rough :?: and perhaps you should mention it to her nicely but assertivly (i know thats easier said than done)
A few people have said to me thet they are suprised that braces cause any pain because 'after all children have them' :!: Maybe she's in this category?

Danielle

#8 Post by Danielle »

Wow... I guess I've been pretty lucky so far. My Ortho has four back office assistants--one never treats me, one is kinda rough, but I've only had to deal with her once (ironically, she's the one who actually put my braces on), one is really young and not too sure of herself, but she does a great job (I felt so bad for her one time she slipped and accidentally cut my lip with the thing they use to remove ligs and she kept apologizing and was practically shaking the rest of the appointment... oddly enough that hurt way less than the actual adjustment, but she wouldn't believe me), and the assistant I see most often is the most experienced and I can't say enough good things about her... the truth is the "rough one" is my Ortho herself.
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present

MsTiaLia

#9 Post by MsTiaLia »

My ortho seems to be very in touch with his patients' pain. I remember during one of my very first appointments he was doing something in my mouth and I didn't scream, but I was probably obviously uncomfortable. To my surprise, he said, "Don't worry, I'm not going to break your tooth." That is EXACTLY what I was thinking...OMG he's gonna break my tooth! lol So I have no problem with him. When he does something and it hurts (which is VERY rare) I know that there is no way around the pain. This assistant, on the other hand, EVERYTHING she did hurt! I'm not sure how much experience she has, but she is likely the oldest of the 4 assistants in my ortho's office.

Delag

#10 Post by Delag »

Hmmmm.....In my vast dental experience I have found my male doctors to be much gentler than my female doctors. I wonder if this has just been my luck, or if male/female, female/female relationship has some influence. Perhaps men are more aware of their physical strength and make more of an effort to be gentle. Who knows? :lol:

Ives

#11 Post by Ives »

Good advice Meryaten, The old saying applies here. " The squeeky wheel gets the grease ". If you don't say anything everyone assumes things are great and moves on.

By the way, haven't seen your name for awhile. Where ya been, hitchhiking across the galaxy. :wink:
Braced March 1st 07

Pirate Wench

#12 Post by Pirate Wench »

I am really lucky.....my ortho assistants are really great. There are 2 of them and both are females. My Ortho is very gentle as well. He has only done a couple things....he bonded my braces and he removed one of my wires once.

I know he is going to have to rebond one of my brackets on the 30th of March. The tooth isn't straightening out the way he wants so he is going to move the bracket to another place on the tooth. I guess I will see how gentle he is at that time, because he has to remove and replace the bracket on one of the lower teeth. My teeth are so small tho, that the brackets are almost right in my gums as it is......Needless to say, I am a little worried that it is going to hurt removing the bracket to begin with :?

payoki

#13 Post by payoki »

Mine is too.
Last time it was so painful when she was changing the wire that I screamed so she got scared and called the ortho.
When he took over it was like zero pain and he was showing her how to go about gently taking out the wire.
He was explaining to the assistant not to yank it out...
Everytime I go for a visit, I always cross my finger hoping to not get the same lady.
She's very kind and sweet but I just think she's very inexperienced and I'm the one who has to suffer. :cry:
mother of one.

payoki

#14 Post by payoki »

Mine is too.
Last time it was so painful when she was changing the wire that I screamed so she got scared and called the ortho.
When he took over it was like zero pain and he was showing her how to go about gently taking out the wire.
He was explaining to the assistant not to yank it out...
Everytime I go for a visit, I always cross my finger hoping to not get the same lady.
She's very kind and sweet but I just think she's very inexperienced and I'm the one who has to suffer. :cry:
mother of one.