No pain. Should I be worried?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

delerius

No pain. Should I be worried?

#1 Post by delerius »

I had mine on, metal, both upper and lower, last March 2 and was expecting a lot of pain. Surprisingly, I did not feel any. My gums only ached when my ortho put on the spacers for the molar band and that lasted for about a week with me eating a spoonful of oats each meal and a glass of milk. When the actual braces came I thought that would double the pain.

Zero. Zilch. Zip. No pain at all. Though there's that canker sore on some part my lips and cheeks and that's it. Oh, I still can't eat any hard food. I can only feel the soreness of my teeth when I bite into something.

I've been reading stories on the Internet and I've never encountered one saying not feeling any pain. Dr. Lee told me to expect for the pain 2 hours after and ready myself for the second and third day and it's been more than a week.

I guess I'm lucky for not going through what others call "hell" but that got me into thinking if the whole procedure was done correctly and if it's really working.

Or is it too early to tell? I told him about this but he said some people just have a high tolerance for pain. But I was in pain with the spacer, why not with the braces?

Should I worry? Please enlighten me...

joney

#2 Post by joney »

Hi delerius

You got lucky. Some people have a lot of pain and others have none or hardly any. I also got lucky, a few days of tenderness and that was it but my teeth have sure moved a lot. Lots of people here haven't had any pain, one of my daughters had a terrible time in braces and the other had no pain whatsoever. Thank your lucky stars.

I hope the biting gets easier for you soon, practice makes perfect with this one so keep trying.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

Jenny5

#3 Post by Jenny5 »

Hi delerius,

You should not be worried. I experienced pain with spacers and not again until the day of my first adjustment (4 weeks after getting braces). You will find lots of people on here who have not experienced pain at all after many months, while others have a harder time. Trust your ortho and be thankful that you're having an easy adjustment into braces!

Good luck!

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

Do not be concerned. There is no truth in the adage, 'no gain without pain'.

I've had no pain during treatment, but plenty of movement.

Ives

#5 Post by Ives »

Worried, no. Jumping for joy, YES.

I had real bad spacer pain and pain from having bands installed. 11 days into braces now and most of the pain is gone. The only real problem right now is tender teeth when I accidentally smack them together.

Good Luck and hope everything stays pain free for you.
Braced March 1st 07

delerius

Whew

#6 Post by delerius »

I'm relieved. I trust him, I know he knows better, maybe I just needed to hear that from people who's going through the same thing as I am now.

Ives - I found out just this morning that I can already eat bacon. But only if I do it real slow. That got me jumping for joy! Yey!

KK - actually I've been doing warm salt water rinses, been anal about my dental hygiene and haven't felt the sores in my mouth for a while now thanks to this site. I've been coming to archwired for almost a month, before I had my braces on, and just found out and registered in the forum for a couple days. KK, I found most of your advices helpful. Thanks muchos!

Lionfish - you're right. Ditch the old saying. The world has progressed really good and so should improving our dental health! Hehehe. I'm keeping my eye on what improvements I'll have in the next few months.

Jenny - Now I'm not worried. I can't wait for my next appointment. I feel comfy already with metals in my mouth. Before, I put lots of wax to ease the pain a bit but five, six days after I don't need it anymore. That's good, eh?

Joney - I strongly agree. I got lucky. Hehehe. And the good thing is I can eat hard food already! I'm so bored with soups and soft food that I was ecstatic when I had my first serving of bacon. Still have to practice though as it keeps getting stuck with the braces.

Guys, thank you..

platinum

#7 Post by platinum »

You should be happy!

I got pain after getting my braces, I had to use painkillers for three days non-stop, after that my teeth were always sore. Now, after first adjustment the pain is back.

delerius

#8 Post by delerius »

Hey platinum,

Yes, I'm happy. I was just worried thinking something had gone wrong. I guess I was being a little paranoid.

I'm sure you'll feel better soon.