advice for weddings, braces and a possible braces break

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

maia1orual

advice for weddings, braces and a possible braces break

#1 Post by maia1orual »

so i have a kind of ridiculous question. but i'm going to ask it anyway. here's the story:

i finally met the love of my life :D turns out we grew up together haha so now we want to get married and fairly soon -- but i just got braces on 3 weeks ago (we've been dating for a few months, though) he doesn't seem to care whether or not i have braces for the wedding, which we hope to have next fall.

i, on the other hand, cannot imagine having braces on for my wedding photos or other activities that follow ;) does anyone else have advice or a similar situation? i mean, if we wait till i have my braces off that could be a while.

and lastly, has anyone ever heard of taking a break -- say, getting the whole mess off for a week or 2, and then getting them back on? you know, long enough for a wedding and honey moon? i know it might relapse some stuff -- but it's just a week or 2. what do you guys think about that?

thanks!

Rickysa

#2 Post by Rickysa »

No problemo :D

We have debanded for weddings a number of times...we just make a clear plastic retainer for the patient to wear until the get banded back up.

Dr. S
-Grad of UNC Ortho '92 (research centered around ceramic brackets)

Boolajoojoo

#3 Post by Boolajoojoo »

I think somebody just posted pictures of their braces coming off for a couple of days for her daughter's wedding, so I suppose it's within reason to do something like that. Probably you should ask your orthodontist about doing something like that... I have to imagine there might be a little bit of extra cost involved... and maybe you wouldn't want them off for so long.

Congrats on meeting the love of your life though!

Maybe you could have a small ceremony, and renew your vows in a big ceremony after braces come off? Or you could just accept the idea of having braces on your wedding, and have that as a memory you're going to look back on and laugh at?

Way Too Old For This

#4 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I think somebody just posted pictures of their braces coming off for a couple of days for her daughter's wedding, so I suppose it's within reason to do something like that
It was me. Making a clear plastic retainer like Dr. S mentioned sounds like a good idea, especially if they are going to be off for more than a few days. My teeth moved a LOT during the 4 days they were off.

This requires a lot of extra work for the ortho office, so expect an additional fee. It was worth it to me though.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

jumbie

#5 Post by jumbie »

I recently made the decision to get braces and then called my boyfriend and told him I just bought him 2 years to propose lolol. No way I would want to be in Braces for my wedding. We can't really afford to get married now anyway so I just firgure I might as well do something productive in that time.
Banded 7th March 2007
Braced 12th April 2007-Ceramic uppers
Braced 7th May 2007-Metal lowers
http://bracefacejumbie.blogspot.com

looloog

#6 Post by looloog »

When I got my front tooth removed in October of 2006, at that point my fiance and I wanted to get married Oct of 07, or Dec 07. I knew I was getting braces in January, then an implant somewhere in May, and I was told by my dentist and periodontist and orthodontist that if i needed, they would remove the braces. Turns out now, we are getting married in May 08, so i hope to be good to go, brace free and not toothless for my wedding!

its common for people to get them off temporarily, dont worry, people understand how important a wedding is!