Question about getting a cleaning done

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ravishing

Question about getting a cleaning done

#1 Post by Ravishing »

I go to the dentist on Wed for my first cleaning since getting my braces on. Can someone tell me if I need to have my wires removed before having my cleaning done? I called my dentist's office today to ask and the girl I spoke to basically said she didn't know and that they would call to let me know if I needed to have my wires removed.

Just curious what other people's experiences have been?
[/url]
Was braced for all 9 months of my pregnancy and managed to keep fresh elastics on during all 26 hours of labor!!

Betty Bat

#2 Post by Betty Bat »

I've had a few cleanings, and I never had to get the wire removed. The assistant just works around it.

And, I found that I got better "goodies" from my regular dentist than I got from my ortho. After my cleanings, I get ortho-cut brushes, proxy brushes, and good floss. So, keep that in mind. Hopefully, it will work for you, too.

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

I've not had the wires removed either.

Am I looking forward to a cleaning on Monday - my teeth are filthy!!

ssfw

#4 Post by ssfw »

I always get my wires removed prior to my cleaning. My dental hygienist appreciates it and says it makes it alot easier for her. There's no right or wrong, it depends on your dental hygienist and how convenient it is for you to get the wires removed and put back on after the cleaning.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

looloog

#5 Post by looloog »

I had a cleaning 3 weeks into getting braces and the hygenist worked around my wire. shouldnt be a problem.

PfectPitch

#6 Post by PfectPitch »

Thanks for bringing this up as I was wondering the same thing. My orthodontist also advises cleanings every three months instead of the usual six months w/o braces. Is this typical? I don't mind doing it, but since it seems I'm always cleaning my teeth, is it really necessary?

Pirate Wench

#7 Post by Pirate Wench »

I have my 1st dental appointment including a cleaning on March 30 since my braces have been put on. I called my dentist office and they said they just work around all the metal in my mouth and not to worry. :lol: Then I called my ortho office and asked them if it was okay to book my cleaning right after ortho appointment because of them having to rebond a bracket on the bottom. I was worried that the new bonding wouldn't be solid enough but the orhto office said it was okay......I guess we will see what happens. Let's just say.....I won't be suprised if I need to go back to the ortho office to get it fixed after. I wouldn't normally say that, but I only spoke to one of the ladies at the front desk and I don't know if they really know the answer to that question.

Clairey Fairey

#8 Post by Clairey Fairey »

I don't think I get cleaning as part of the treatment plan, do you have to pay extra for this??

Is it just your choice or part of your treatment??

I'm just curious as I've been told it's a good idea to get my teeth professionally cleaned before I get the braces, but I think its up to me to keep my teeth clean once I have them. I'd be pleased if cleaning was part of the treatment though!

Ives

#9 Post by Ives »

Clairey
I think most dental plans cover 2 cleanings a year, check your insurance plan. If you have no dental insurance at all than I would ask your ortho office if cleanings are extra.
You would hate to get a surprise bill in the mail.

Good Luck

Ives
Braced March 1st 07

Ives

#10 Post by Ives »

Nice Kiwi, way to go.You should take the money you saved and treat yourself to something. !!!!!!

As to the original post, my ortho office had me schedule 10 minutes extra time to remove and replace wire for cleaning. My next cleaning is not until August so it will be up to me to keep things looking good. Piece of cake except for flossing, i'll get there though. Just have to figure out how to have a bigger mouth. :wink:
Braced March 1st 07

Ravishing

#11 Post by Ravishing »

Just thought I'd share an update about how my cleaning went now that I have a chance!

I did end up leaving my wires in for the cleaning and there was no problems with it.

My last cleaning was a little before I got my braces on. The hygenist said that I needed to start flossing more because I was bordering on gum disease if I didn't do anything. My dentist also found 3 spots that looked like cavities were developing so I was told to rinse with ACT every day. I also had one full blown cavity that needed filling.

This time, I came out of my cleaning a very happy girl just like Kiwi did :D

There was no mention of gum disease or cavities at all and the hygenist just kept complimenting me on my oral hygene. She said to keep up what I'm doing because its working!!

My dentist came in to check my teeth and we spent more time talking than he spent looking. He was also really impressed with everything he saw.

The best part about the whole thing... The hygenist kept saying over and over again how beautiful my teeth are and how exciting the outcome will be when my braces come off. It was really nice to hear that after being ashamed of my smile for so long. It also meant a lot because I really hate how I look right now with my extraction gaps and I've been so frustrated about the difficulty my ortho has had trying to get them to close.

Before getting braces I never would have dreamed that going to the dentist would be the highlight of my day!! :-*
[/url]
Was braced for all 9 months of my pregnancy and managed to keep fresh elastics on during all 26 hours of labor!!