Theres got to be a better way to floss !!!!!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ives

Theres got to be a better way to floss !!!!!!!

#1 Post by Ives »

OK, I know it's been discussed to death in here but flossing with these things on just really really sucks. :-+ Before braces I always used one of those reach flossers. Made flossing a breeze. I have really big hands and a not so big mouth. Trying to get back there with traditional floss, even the glide stuff, is near impossible for me. Theres got to be someone smarter than myself that can reinvent the way we floss with braces. Something along the line of the reach tool but can get around the wire.
Any inventors out there reading this, get to work. :gavel:

whew I feel better !!!!!!!!!

Ives
Braced March 1st 07

rsprouse

#2 Post by rsprouse »

It gets easier with practice. But if you are that adverse to using your hands you can always try tweezers. They are similar in design to suture holders which allow access into tight places. Otherwise there is not too much out there. I have seen little gadgets that are supposed to make flossing easier but I have not personally found anything that I like. You may want to check out http://www.flossfish.com/ I have no affiliation other than I have sampled the product.

Good Luck,
Rory

Ives

#3 Post by Ives »

Thanks doc, You just turned a light bulb on in my head on how to design a better flosser. Thanks for the link.

Ives
Braced March 1st 07

iBorg

#4 Post by iBorg »

I tried several approaches before I found one I liked. I swear by Crest Glide Threader Floss and swear when I don't have it.

If you order those from Denta Kit (forum sponsor), I'd also order their silicone wax. Great product. requires where you place it to be dry but it feels so good comparision to other waxes.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

PfectPitch

#5 Post by PfectPitch »

Ives: I have a few teeth that because of the occlusal bonding make it really hard to floss. I got a Water Pik Power Flosser (7.99) that I use on just those teeth and any others I can't get at with floss. For the rest I use Oral B Super Floss. The Dental Doo Dads section of the forum might have some other ideas.

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

I use regular waxed floss, but I also use floss threaders that are like a little flexible plastic needle. You thread the eye of the "needle" with your floss and the needle makes it easier to get the floss under the wire. I can do it quite quickly now. I reuse the threaders till they start to get bent out of shape (a couple of weeks) as they don't actually go between my teeth.

I did use Oral B superfloss for a while but I have so many screws, wires and gizmos that I gave up on it because the foam bit of the superfloss kept catching up and leaving irritating little dangling fibres in my mouth :evil:

delerius

#7 Post by delerius »

I understand how you feel. Flossing is the most annoying part of cleaning up after a snack or a big meal. But it's important to clean the in-between's so there really is no way around it.

For a week I've been muttering to myself that "Practice makes perfect and Patience is a virtue" while flossing my teeth. Hehehe.

Frustrated and annoyed, I made it through. Now I've gotten used to the braces in my mouth and I don't mind a little annoyance every once in a while anymore.

Cor1

Me too.....

#8 Post by Cor1 »

I gave up on regular flossing as soon as I got my mouth full of hardware, there was no way I was going to be able to floss properly...........without gettting totally frustrted and stopping all together.!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil:

So I bought myself the Power Flosser from WaterPik, which was only around $8.00 (Canadian) at Wallmart, and IT WORKS LIKE A DREAM!!!!!!

Cor1

Nawners

#9 Post by Nawners »

I certainly agree that flossing is a big pain in the butt!!
:?

I am going to have to get me a WaterPik flosser, for sure!!
~There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus~

Ives

#10 Post by Ives »

My problem is the back teeth, I just cannot get my big meat hooks back there. The fronts are no problem with the glide threader floss.
Braced March 1st 07

Danielle

#11 Post by Danielle »

I'd pick up a WaterPik flosser... you don't have to get your hand to try to get to the back of your mouth, because these are shaped like an electrical toothbrush and they just fit right in. I use my WaterPik flosser almost everyday. When I think I need an extra good flossing (or if it feels like something is stuck) then I'll grab my Crest Glide Threaded Floss.

No matter what kind you use it will get easier... the first couple of weeks are the hardest and by far the most time consuming. :wink:
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present

Ives

#12 Post by Ives »

Ok, my first thought on seeing the fish thingy. I like the idea of a thin plastic strip that fits between the brackets. But why couldn't they combine that idea with the reach flosser idea and make a reach braces flosser.
When I got home I looked at one of my heads and it would work great if only the arms holding the floss were alot thinner to fit between brackets.

Just a thought

Ives
Braced March 1st 07

Danielle

#13 Post by Danielle »

Danielle a waterpik flosser does not replace daily flossing, as it doesn't move down the side of the tooth and below the gum in a controled way, which is why manual flossing is still the only way to floss ... unfortunately.
Odd... my Ortho and her assistants told me this was the better way to floss... I just use the Crest Glide floss sometimes because I really like it.

***Edited to clarify that I use the scary looking flosser that Meryaten just provided a photo of.***
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present

joney

#14 Post by joney »

I experimented with lots of different types of floss and have found the Oral B satin the best. At first I used to have to use a tweezers to help me out but now I can feed the satin under the wire at the back and slide it along the gumline towards the front and then grab it. I suppose everybody has their favourites and it is just a matter of finding what suits you best.

Good luck in your quest. You will find a system that works for you.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

samantha_lou

#15 Post by samantha_lou »

I struggled with flossing before braces, and needed the little doodah with the handle to be able to shove the floss down there - at the moment, some of my contacts are just so tight that I do not have the dexterity or strength at the back to floss as well as I should like. I find the front a lot easier, but I still find that even with the threaded flosser, it get stuck when I really get down in between teeth and several times I have come running and screaming from the bathroom with floss attached to teeth and refusing to budge!! Definitely not fun for my darling husband who has to perform surgery to remove the darn stuff!! :shock: