Switch from Metal to Ceramic

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ssfw

#16 Post by ssfw »

Hi HappyMom,

As I indicated in my post, my ortho told me the only difference between the ceramics and metal regarding treatment time is the ceramic brackets might extend the treatment time by a couple months but that was fine with me.

It's great that you were able to speak to your orthodontist about this and he was happy to do it if you chose to do so. Since I have both ceramic and metal brackets, I can honestly say that they have both been comfortable for me. I think if at first they are not comfortable, most people eventually adjust to it.

Do what you feel will work for you. You may even want to see one of the ceramic brackets up close at your appt. and make the decision from there.

Keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

jumbie

#17 Post by jumbie »

Well you guys know about my dilemna trying to decide as well. I think the combo (ceramic uppers and metal lowers) is the best compromise for those concernde with appearance.

KK, apparently (according to the specific quaestion i asked my ortho as to why ppl say cermaics take longer) ceramics don't WORK better than metals but they might take a little longer only because the ceramic is not as hard as the metal and adjustments need to be done more gradually. So you may end up having more overall appointments than with the metal. I guess it all depends which brand of ceramics your ortho uses (also regarding the size) and if the clear brackets are actually another synthetic material.
Banded 7th March 2007
Braced 12th April 2007-Ceramic uppers
Braced 7th May 2007-Metal lowers
http://bracefacejumbie.blogspot.com

BraceMom

#18 Post by BraceMom »

I have been braced for 2 weeks now. ceramics on the top and metal on the bottom and I am very happy with my decision. Yes, people still notice I have braces but it was more about how I felt about myself wearing them and I knew that I'd be much more self conscience with all metal. I'm still very sore, can't eat anything solid still but I am definitely getting used to the feel of them.

Natalie

#19 Post by Natalie »

regarding the last couple of post re adjustment times...i have metal both top and bottom and i have my adjustments every 4 weeks which seem very short gaps between compared to KK's 10-13 weeks...also my treatment time is estimated at 9-12 months, i guess this could be because of the more regular adjustments or just the fact that everyones' probs are different to begin with. at times i have wondered if i would have been happier with ceramic but overall i think i made the right choice with metal...as has been said...braces are braces...and to add to that - the sooner mine come off and my teeth are beautiful and naked the better!

becks

#20 Post by becks »

I just got metal on top and bottom..today. Truthfully I don't really get ceramics. Most people who have them tell me they've chosen them for cosmetic reasons and they want to feel like they are less noticeable. And yes they are to an extent, but they're not invisible. Plus, what gets me is they say this and then turn around and put very noticeable colored ligs on them. We're talking red, pink, green, purple, etc. Kind of defeats the purpose of wanting less noticeable braces.

Betty Bat

#21 Post by Betty Bat »

I've been going in every 4 weeks also - since October, 2005. I've had at least one of my wires changed at all but one of my adjustments. Usually it's the upper wire. I had the same lower wire from May, 2005 through February, 2006. And, I always get my (clear) ligs changed.

I guess this is just part of the different approaches to treatment. And, it's nice to go in and find out that things are still OK.

It seems like if there was a different schedule for the types of brackets that you had on one part of your mouth or the other, then the appointments would be scheduled for the shortest interval. Kind of like the "least common denominator".

jumbie

#22 Post by jumbie »

Well KK , Since I am still waiting to be braced I don't have all the answers (yet). :BigTeethGrin: I did ask a lot of questions during my few appointments cause I got really paranoid when the another ortho I consulted with completely undermined my ortho's practice by telling me that they may not use 'real' ceramic brackets but use synthetic brackets that are both cheaper and may stain. My ortho confirmed that they use fully ceramic brackets from www.americanortho.com and that the size is similar to the metal bracket. She said the treatment may take 2-6mths longer than the metal on account of the rate of adjustment. Of course that all depends on the movement of the teeth as well. I don't believe she uses self litigating brackets which could also be a factor.
Banded 7th March 2007
Braced 12th April 2007-Ceramic uppers
Braced 7th May 2007-Metal lowers
http://bracefacejumbie.blogspot.com

mary88

#23 Post by mary88 »

Happy, When I went for my consultation with my Ortho they asked me what I wanted metal or ceramic. I then asked what the difference was. His response was that ceramic were $500 more than metal and also that the ceramic were not as strong and would add to my treatment time. I was originally going to go with ceramic on top and metal on the bottom but then decided on all metal. I figured why spend more to just add to my treatment time($5200 and 18 months). I do have to admit that when they fist went on they felt very heavy and bulky but only 2 weeks in and I already forget they are there most of the time. Good Luck on whatever you decide and keep us posted. Mary 88

RightMyBite

#24 Post by RightMyBite »

As to the "ceramic may lengthen treatment time", I think it depends on the exact types of brackets used by the orthodontist. After reading about that possibility the forums, I asked my ortho (b-day is tomorrow!) about it. She told me that there are different kinds of ceramic brackets, some of which aren't as strong -- which lengthens treatment time -- and some newer ones which are just as strong as metal and don't affect treatment time. (I think someone else in this thread may have mentioned the different types of ceramics as well).

For me, my ortho uses the ones that are as strong as metal, so it's not going to affect treatment time. If she used the other ones, I'd be opting for metal because I want this to be done as soon as possible! But everyone has to choose what's the priority for them - comfort, esthetics, or time.

ellebee

#25 Post by ellebee »

Just my two cents but one of my ceramic brackets came off one of my lower rotated teeth and we replaced it with a metal one. That tooth is moving noticeably faster into place. They were just about mirror images to start. I wish I had gone with all metal. I want to switch at least the other rotated lower. Next visit hopefully!

Elle
Spacers, Nov. 1; Braced Nov. 8, 2006; Braces off March 26, 2008, just short of 17 months. Glad it's over but the jury is still out on whether the game was worth the candle.

Natalie

#26 Post by Natalie »

although we appreciate it is not the brackets themselves that move the teeth obviously they are a part of it and surely if something was used like rubber or flimsy plastic instead of something stronger like metal then the wires wouldn't be able to do their job so well. so it does seem entirely possible that if one type of bracket is stronger than another then it may help the process along.

jennielee81

#27 Post by jennielee81 »

Just here to introduce trouble... :lol: :paperbag:

My ortho wanted to change my upper central incisor brackets from ceramic to metal in the last two months of treatment because the BRACKETS wouldn't allow the wire to move the teeth. In some situations (like mine).
There are/can be some interface issues between the wire and the bracket that can/may be addressed better with different brackets.

chrisd had his upper brackets changed a while back from ceramic to metal for exactly the same reason. He posted on there the science behind it and he introduces the idea of bracket perscriptions...

btw, he's a medical dr.

Here's the page were this part of his (trifecta) journey begins:
viewtopic.php?t=8856&start=60
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

jennielee81

#28 Post by jennielee81 »

Ya, I think Chris and I are special. :crazy:

Kiwi, you do explain it along the lines of my thinking, with the addition from my slightly slanted (ie: special case :wink: ) perspective, I see it as the wire is indeed moving the teeth, but the bracket, in this case, is involved in the direction (perhaps quality) of that movement (torque). So all brackets are not created equally in some cases.

Therefore, in some exceptional cases, the bracket is doing more than just holding the wire; it is guiding it as well.

I'm not trying to be picky, I'm enjoying the conversation! :D

Also, do you have a picture, Kiwi, of your new metal accessory?
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

HappyMom

Switch from Metal to Ceramic

#29 Post by HappyMom »

Yahoo!! I just got my ceramic "social seven!" I know... most folks say social 6 but my smile is a bit crooked so I now have 7 ceramics. Maybe I will feel differently over time, but right now- I LOVE THEM. To me, they are much more comfortable. Like Kiwi said, not nearly as "pokey." And, I must admit... my vanity does not suffer as much with the less noticeable ceramics. Win/Win for me! Personal choice, no wrong answer either way :).

My ortho charged me an additional $250 and cautioned me about a slightly longer treatment time (2 mths) and possibly more uncomfort (given the ceramic's larger size).

Thank you all for the fabulous support and extremely helpful data that helped me make this decision. Wishing you all happy smiles!

jennielee81

#30 Post by jennielee81 »

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Welcome aboard! Your attitude is FANTASTIC!