Weird gum irritation -- spring related? (pic)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kodius Champion

Weird gum irritation -- spring related? (pic)

#1 Post by Kodius Champion »

OK, this is something that's bugging me.

This past Wednesday, I had a stronger spring installed between a couple of bottom teeth to make room for Wonky Tooth. Naturally, it hurt somewhat, but when toying around the area with my tongue a couple of days later, I noticed this weird "flap" of gum tissue overlapping the back of my molar!

It's almost like a "finger" of gum tissue, and it hurts like a bugger. I know I've seen movement already in these teeth, and I'm wondering -- is this spring jamming my molar back and causing it to dig into my gum? (or something...?)

In case someone knows what's going on, I submit the following picture:

**WARNING: PICTURE OF WEIRD GUM THING AHEAD. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! **

You can see the back of the spring on the tooth in front of it. Is this some sort of irritation that I should know about/be wary of? I have a regular dentist's appointment on the 26th, worse come to worst.

joney

#2 Post by joney »

Kodius

First I must congratulate you on not having fillings in your back molars, well done.

I have a vague recollection of similar flaps over my top wisdom teeth years ago before they were removed. It could be caused by irritation perhaps. Sorry I can't help more with this one but I'm pretty sure I had similar flaps but can't remember the complete history of why my wisdoms were removed, but it was probably decay, as I didn't look after my teeth so well in those days. I still have my bottom wisdoms by the way.

Hope it's not anything too major, keep us informed.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

nancoy

#3 Post by nancoy »

I have had this problem after I had all of my widsom teeth cut out. Not sure why your is doing this but mine got smaller over time. Its been 7 years ago, they are still there but they don't bother me anymore. If the pain is bothering you, maybe you should call your dentist and see what they say about it. ~Nancy

viewtopic.php?t=17426

rsprouse

#4 Post by rsprouse »

How old are you? Late teens or early twenties? Are your wisdom teeth starting to come in? That is the typical scenario for this type of situation. If it is not your 3rd molars then you will want to have it looked at locally.

Good Luck,
Rory

Kodius Champion

#5 Post by Kodius Champion »

I'm 26, and yes, I have my wisdom teeth, but they're impacted (bottom ones are sideways) and due to come out later this summer.

Do you think they're trying to break through??

becks

#6 Post by becks »

They could be trying to come through or just getting pushed closer to the surface. When my wisdom teeth came in years ago I had a flap like that on one of them. I don't think its an irritation but I would point it out at next appt.

rsprouse

#7 Post by rsprouse »

I'm 26, and yes, I have my wisdom teeth, but they're impacted (bottom ones are sideways) and due to come out later this summer.

Do you think they're trying to break through??
That is how tissue often responds when a tooth is erupting. Can you feel anything with your finger? Any pain? Be careful as it is easy to impact food debris in folds of tissue and then they can become inflamed and quite painful. I assume you don't know what type of impaction you have (soft tissue, partial bony, full bony)?

Best,
Rory

Kodius Champion

#8 Post by Kodius Champion »

Can you feel anything with your finger?
Not, not really, at least nothing out of the ordinary.
Any pain?
Yes! Not "Holy crap, I'm going to die!" pain, but annoying, "Ow, that frickin' hurts, I should take an ibuprofen" pain. I won't chew on that side.
I assume you don't know what type of impaction you have (soft tissue, partial bony, full bony)?
Correct, though I've received every indication that they're still within the jaw itself, so I'm assuming at least partial-bony?

Thanks muchly for the input, BTW! :)

pokergirl

#9 Post by pokergirl »

I have the same problem except it's on the side of my mouth. I wasn't real sure what had caused it until I woke up one night with my teeth clenched around it. I just started noticing it after my last adjustment. It's very annoying.

Kodius Champion

#10 Post by Kodius Champion »

Well, here's an update.

Gum Thing is still there, however, it doesn't hurt like a bugger anymore. Either it's shrinking, or it just decided to stop making the entire back part of my lower jaw ache.

About time it came to its senses. :P