My biggest fear... The crown popped off during adj.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jmrut22

My biggest fear... The crown popped off during adj.

#1 Post by jmrut22 »

Ok so I had an adjustment yesterday. I mentioned that I thought the band was loose on a molar (the molar that just happen to be a crown). She said no problem we can re-cement your band well she did and then put the archwire on and and POP!!! off came the crown. Needless to say I panicked :shock: She assured me that it would be alright they ran next door to the dentist to have it checked and borrow some kind of cement and put it back on. Its been close to 24 hrs-so far so good- I am terrified that crown will pop back off. It is a molar on bottom that has a rubber band attatched from it to the top bicuspid. I sure hope it doesnt come off when I get debanded- sometime in December of 2007 I hope.

becks

#2 Post by becks »

That's no fun. I'd have panicked too. I also have a crown, it's a tooth on the top. When she banded it yesterday I was so scared it was going to crack. I actually thought it was cracking when she fitted the band. At least your crown was not ruined and they could cement it back in. I wonder though, if because of ortho treatment they do crack/ruin a crown would they be responsible for replacing it (payment wise) since they broke it? You know....you breatk it you buy it :lol:

ladylee

#3 Post by ladylee »

You poor thing, I would have panicked too if a crown popped off. As a matter of fact, I thought that is what had happened when my lingual arch snapped on me because it is attached to crowns on both sides of my mounth. As far as the ortho replacing the crown if it gets ruined, I seriously doubt. But you know, I really think orthos know what they are doing and try to do as little damage as possible. At least I hope so because I have like 12 crowns and nine have bands instead of brackets because the brackets kept popping off. Lee

cowlypso

#4 Post by cowlypso »

Wow... Must depend on the kind of glue they used when putting on the crown. My crown was on my tooth very, very solidly. I had the tooth extracted, and the surgeon warned me that the crowns sometimes come off when they pull on them to extract the tooth. But nope, the crown stayed on and provided enough leverage to pull the tooth out.

If you've had the crown for a long time, maybe the glue had weakened a bit, or maybe it just wasn't glued on well the first time. But I bet you now that it's been re-glued, it'll be solid for a long time.

bsblguy

#5 Post by bsblguy »

I have 6 crowns but no bands, they did some sort of treatment on them before putting the brackets on. They put some horrible tasting stuff on them for 3 minutes then the brackets. He told me they don't stick as well to crowns as teeth so I have been very carefull to not knock them off, so far so good though it hasn't been 3 weeks yet. My 1st. adjustment is april 26 so we'll see how it goes. Good luck to you.

rsprouse

#6 Post by rsprouse »

If you've had the crown for a long time, maybe the glue had weakened a bit, or maybe it just wasn't glued on well the first time. But I bet you now that it's been re-glued, it'll be solid for a long time.
Cement really doesn't hold all crowns as well as you think. One of the design variables in a restoration is retention form. Based on how tall and wide the prep is, and how well the crown fits you could theoretically cement a crown without cement. Yes, cement will help counteract most normal forces placed on the crown and keep it in place, but they do come off and ortho can exacerbate that problem.

Regards,
Rory