Implant Advice Wanted

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iBorg

Implant Advice Wanted

#1 Post by iBorg »

I'll try to make this short.

Over twenty years ago, I had my four pre-molars removed when I got my first set of braces. Know I'm repeating the process hoping for a better result than my first round. So far my teeth have been uprightted and I can actually see my teeth. I feel better about my appearance and my interaction with others seems better. I guess you can tell the braces have helped my self-confidence. I'm at the point now where either my teeth need to be pulled back to close the openings or expanded more for implants.

Today I had x-rays, photographs and molds for models so the ortho can study them concerning the feasibility of implants. I've explored cost and insurance. Its financially doable but I'll be driving the same car three more years and buying fewer "toys."
I'll find out on April 16, if it’s technically doable.

If you have had experience with opening up space for implants, please let me know what's been involved in your treatment and give me your thoughts.

I do know this will add at least a year to my treatment. That bothers me less than the not knowing if the end result (hopefully helping TMJ, grinding and appearance) will be out weighted by the expense.

Thanks,

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Filip

#2 Post by Filip »

My OD has suggested this as my path too. I had a bicuspid extracted, which has caused my teeth to "cave in". Therefore my OD wants to reestablish the proper structure in my uppers. Sounds like a good plan to me, although like you, I'm not too exicted about the time involved to open up the gap necessary.

platinum

#3 Post by platinum »

I need an imlant to the place of my one second molar, which was pulled off (It was rotten). Just wondering how expensive implants are....

iBorg

#4 Post by iBorg »

first good luck with continuing to battle the "quitting smoking thing." That's one way to afford braces and make your health better. As for cost, expect $2200 per tooth. Fortunately for me I have insurance that will help some plus I make good use of my spending account.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

RabbleRouser

#5 Post by RabbleRouser »

I just got my implant/crown completed 3 weeks ago, (1st surgery was 05/06)
pain free for the most part and very good results aesthetically. Your cost estimate jibes with what I paid. I got to enjoy my new crown for only 30 minutes before my OD slapped on a lingual side bracket for elastics..DAMN!
That thing is tearing my tongue apart. Since it's premolars, couldn't you just get a bridge for a lot cheaper? Or maybe one implant + one bridged crown? Mine was #18 so no bridge possible.

rsprouse

#6 Post by rsprouse »

You have a tough task ahead of you, creating a 10+ mm space for an implant is not easy if you have no existing spaces. Got any pics of your arches or models? It is theoretically doable but will have a lot of variables and hurdles in order to achieve success. Anything is possible, but this will take some skill. You may be better off considering orthognathic surgery if you are that serious about correcting your profile or TMJ issues.

Good Luck,
Rory

iBorg

#7 Post by iBorg »

Surprized that you got the implant during treatment. I take it the space already existed? In my case. about one third the speace currently exists.

Guesss its strong enough if its able to anchor an elastic.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

iBorg

#8 Post by iBorg »

I already have about 2.5 mm on one side and 3 mm on the other. I think it will be interesting to see how this plays out. My ortho is not rushing the decision. Apparently after she looks at the models and X-rays she's going to get opinions from the oral surgeon before we meet again on April 16. I understand surgery may be an option but it would need to be on both jaws. I'm not sure I'd go through that unless she can convince me that there would be a functional advantage. Even then I'd would be slow to decide to do it. If the space can be opened up without surgery, I'm 95% sure I'll do it.

I guess I'm just trying to get a feel for what I'm committing myself to.

Mike
[/i]
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009