Braces Tmrw ... am 35 now ...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

CosmicMan

Braces Tmrw ... am 35 now ...

#1 Post by CosmicMan »

Hi ...

Im 35 now...My big day is tmrw. Shd've been there 15 yrs ago... But the country where I come from... its frowned upon... So it took me 15 yrs and work in the US and $4000 to make the decision. Am going in for Clear on the top and metal in the lower. Thoh I want both clear, my doc said there could be issues with the large overbite that I have.
Im VERY excited. The thought of having a good smile itself it awesome !!!
I've been told by my doc that it would take 20 - 24 months... SOme websites have posts that said some had to keep them on for 4 yrs.
How does that happen? And is 24 months a good time for my age?

-CM

loulou123

#2 Post by loulou123 »

Hi there

Firstly well done on your very positive attitude to being braced itll certainly help no end if you can stay cheerful. :lol:

I'll have my braces on for at least 3 years (with 3 years being the best possible outcome!) i do however need surgery so its 18 months (ish) before surgery and then 18 months afterwards.

I was nearly 27 when i had them fitted and will be at least 30 by the time they come off. :roll:

Id say 24months was about average, itll fly by ive had mine on over 8 months and it seems like only a few weeks.

Good luck.

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

bsblguy

#3 Post by bsblguy »

Congrats on the decision to get braced. I checked on it when I was about 37 and decided not to do it then as i didn't want to pull 4 good teeth. Now I'm 55 and with advances made over the years I don't need teeth pulled and have braces for almost 3 weeks now. When they were first put on I thought oh my god, what did I do as they felt like they stuck out and inch from my teeth but now I hardly know they are there and very glad to get this done. I was told 18-24 months. Good luck with yours. And 35 is way young.

Betty Bat

#4 Post by Betty Bat »

Welcome, CosmicMan. I've had my braces since October, 2005 and (knock wood), the biggest problem was one bout of canker sores. And, I hated my elastics.

And, Bsblguy, nice to see another member of the over-50 crowd. I'm 54. I agree with you - 35 is way young!

acd

#5 Post by acd »

Welcome CM. It’s nice to see another thirty-something male taking the plunge. My treatment plan is a lot more friendly now than the one from the early eighties when I was a teenager and should have had this done with extractions, full metal bands on every tooth, headgear and heaven only knows what else. Now its clear brackets on top, metal on the bottom, no extractions or expanders and only 22-28 months. Although I wish I hadn't waited until age 39 to do this, modern techniques of today make up for waiting.

Zondrae

#6 Post by Zondrae »

Welcome CM! There's heaps of us 30ish people here :lol:

Ives

#7 Post by Ives »

Welcome cosmicman, Good Luck tomorrow. I have clear uppers and metal lowers. Most people tell me they can't even see the braces. I thought the lowers were very visible but I guess it was just me being paranoid. You'll be fine with metal lowers. No big. I have a couple of pics posted in the stories forum under Ives if you want to see what clear uppers look like.

Again, good luck

Ives
Braced March 1st 07

bracesafter40

Re: Braces Tmrw ... am 35 now ...

#8 Post by bracesafter40 »

CosmicMan wrote:Hi ...

Im 35 now...My big day is tmrw. ...

-CM
You'll be fine! Age is nothing but a number; I'm 41 and just took the plunge two weeks ago!
I wanted metal and got metal; clear would do nothing for me.
It may take longer as sometimes as our teeth may not respond to the treatment administered; It is only an estimate based on individual cases and the Ortho's expertise. I would not dwell on that though.

2.5 years of treatment

CosmicMan

I AM THOROUGHLY ENCOURAGED !!!

#9 Post by CosmicMan »

Hello All... Thank you for your very encouraging words.
Im glad I found this forum. A few at my work place know about my decision and have appreciated my move...
5 more hours to go... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ccrisis

#10 Post by ccrisis »

Hi Cosmic,

I'm 44 and just got braced last week. Don't fret about your age, you decided to do it now so now is the right time!!! Congratulations and Best of luck to you.
Braced 03-09-07
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers

SinOnYourLips

#11 Post by SinOnYourLips »

CosmicMan, good luck!

My big day is tomorrow...(friday) ahh! very nervious.

Come back with updates and I will too!
:)

gramsinbraces

#12 Post by gramsinbraces »

48 and got my expander in Dec. and upper front braces Feb. 27th. Like everyone says stay positive and be proud of your decision and follow Kiwi's great advice and you'll be fine. Welcome to the club.
]

Top expander 12/2006
Top Braces Feb. 27, 2007
Top Expander removed 7/2007
Bottom expander 7/2007

Ives

#13 Post by Ives »

Sooooo, inquiring minds want to know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

How did it go ?????????????
Braced March 1st 07

CosmicMan

#14 Post by CosmicMan »

Im 'braced' now ...
Wasnt difficult at all.
Only difficult part was ... the closed room I was asked to get into and sit
tight for a good 1 1/2 hr. Im claustrophobic. When not in my own control I panic.

The braces part was easiest. Ceramic Upper, Metal Lower. Initially I wanted both ceramic. But this forum helped me decide on the metal lower.
They are good and Lower Ceramic apparently can chip the upper tooth if one has a overbite like me.

Doctor was very patient and took away my anxiety in no time.
Im still not fully braced, I should say, My left lower set is very tight and the doc could not put a molar bracket (?) ... so still have spacers on the left. Have another appointment on 22nd. Will get my metal bracket then
and should be complete then. Also the doc said the elastics would come in at a later point.

Went in around 1:00pm and was out by 3:00 pm. Painfree I will say.
Around 9:00 pm is when the front lower teeth got sore. Cldnt bite even
into a banana. But its wearing away. Took Ibuprofen and it did wonders overnite. Feel much better now.

Work - everything is as I intended. I showed them to people b4 they asked and they have been giving lots of information as to how they went through it while they were in their teens and how unnoticeable it is and easy now.

IM VERY GLAD I GOT BRACED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those still trying to decide whether to go for it or not... my advice... You shd !!!