Got braced today

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jalapeno

Got braced today

#1 Post by jalapeno »

Hi,

I was on here a bit 5 months back asking questions. Well I got them on today, five hours ago now. Just starting to tingle a bit but no pain yet although I'm expecting it.

It was all a lot easier than I expected and now they're on they are a lot less invasive than I thought they'd be. My ortho has used Damon metal braces. They don't poke or prickle anywhere and are quite comfortable.

Eating was a little strange. Had Indian for lunch: dal and peas/potatoes and rice. No big deal. Not much chewing required on that and nothing really got stuck.

Talking is not bad either. Just the "f" and "v" sounds have a littel extra to them now.

That's all for now and hi KK and Meryaten

Jalapeno

Sutsee

#2 Post by Sutsee »

Hey
I got braced yesterday. How is it going thus far. I am sore, advil is my friend. This morning was really rough I woke up my teeth felt like they were throbbing. But I got through the day. I am getting used to the way they look and feel. How long will yours be on?

jalapeno

#3 Post by jalapeno »

Hi Sutsee,

Well it's been about 7 hours now and I still haven't taken any painkillers, just waiting to see what happens.

But, if I push up on say the two upper laterals even a bit it feels really stange, as if they are mounted in really thick stuff and are not firmly rooted or something, very strange but not too painful. I guess those laterals are being pulled down and out of the gums.

Mine are supposed to be 18-24 months and I may have to have one extraction but they are not sure; we'll see.

I guess you are one day ahead of me so I'll have to see when yours stop hurting.

Jalapeno

becks

#4 Post by becks »

Congrats on getting your braces Jalapeno. I got mine on the 13th. The first day was not bad at all but now, on day 2 with them on I've got some mouth sores and some tooth pain when trying to eat. OTC ibuprofen/naproxen works good for me in controlling it.

The Damon brackets sound very nice...unlike these metal pokey things. Funny thing, when I was getting braced I asked the assistant (who really did all the work) about Damons and other self-ligating braces and she actually told me she had no idea what I was talking about, she'd never heard of them. I was quite shocked by that but whatever.

Hope things get better for all three of us in the very near future!!

jalapeno

#5 Post by jalapeno »

Well nearing the end of day 2 now:

Last night woke up with some pain but in the morning it was ok until I tried to eat. I had toast and eggs for breakfast and couldn't chew the toast - had to suck on each piece unitl it was soft enough to swallow :-) and ate the eggs without chewing them.

Then had Indian again for lunch, no chewing required.

Right now I am eating pinto beans mashed together with cottage cheese -)

I took one ibuprofen earlier. The front upper laterals are really sore if I touch them.

Becks - Well the Damons are slightly pokey, I have a couple of small sores starting. Good luck with yours!

KK - thanks for that advice. I tried the salt water thing a few times hoping to stop the couple of small sores from getting bigger.

We have a water pick and that is pretty good.

jalapeno

#6 Post by jalapeno »

I'm at the end of day 5 now and so far it's going very well. I'm sort of surprised by how much this has not been a big deal, considering how long I put off doing it due to fear, uncertainty and doubt.

I'm completely used to having them now, not that bothered by them. I can talk normally at work and not feeling embarrassed about it.

I've only used wax twice and don't have any sores. I did do the salt rinse thing a lot for a couple of days (thanks Karen) hoping to avoid getting sores in a couple of places that were getting irritated (esp the end at the lower back where the wire is cut off). Also have only had to use ibuprofen three times and not since evening of day two.

The teeth have never really hurt much and I'm wondering if this means my teeth are slow to move and that might mean I'll be in them longer than they said.

Also cleaning food out seems easier than I expected, a few swishes with water and then off to use a tooth brush after each meal (or the water pick then brush if at home). In particular I'm eating rice and not having too much trouble geting it out afterwards. And

If I'd know it would be like this I would have done this years ago. Well, maybe it's the modern brackets making it so tolerable.

Down the road will be the troubles, I just know it... maybe with retention or something...

jalapeno

#7 Post by jalapeno »

Thank you Linda.

Reason I wrote that last part is I think my case is a bit difficult (because I have a gap and mild flaring on the uppers but crowding on the lowers) and even though I think the ortho is good I still think there might be some complication down the road. And so far it's just gone too easily...

timsmith

#8 Post by timsmith »

Hi Jalapeno,

Looks like we both got our new looks on the same day, 15th for me as well. Day 0 was not too bad except when I got home for lunch after bonding, I could not find the soup my wife said we had. I made a tuna salad instead and it was not a plesant eating it, everything felt awkward. Went to work that afternoon and it was one of the girls birthday, they all know I am trying to lose weight so they gave me a small piece of a home made Baileys cake, it tasted good but was still a pain to eat. Friday was fine except for some bracket irritation except when any pressure was put on my teeth, then great pain. Saturday was a little better, it has been steadily improving since, today I have been good all day, I can still feel mild pain while chewing but nothing I cannot deal with. I am waxing up over night and salt rinsing night and morning. Flossing is still a pain, I guess my total night oral hygene is taking about 25 to 30 minutes.

I think my speaking is slightly off but my family and collegues do not hear any problem.

As you say, I am also much better prepared for this, I do not find it at all embarassing and I am very comfortable with my decision.

Being an engineering type, the whole mechanics of this process is of great interest to me, I find it quite amazing how the 22 guage wire is able to have such an effect, pain as well as movement.

Keep following Kiwikarens advice, chewing pain is good and so are saltwater rinses.

Tim

Clarity ceramic uppers, In Ovation metal lowers, 18 by 25 archwires and powerchain on top front 4

jalapeno

#9 Post by jalapeno »

KK,

All the orthos I consulted with said middle upper gaps can be hard to retain; sometimes they may open again a bit. But I'm glad to hear a lot of people here have not had this problem.

I'm brushing after every meal at least right now!

TimSmith,

Yeah, flossing is a pain. I don't like how you have to keep reusing the same bit over and over as it gets kind of slimy...

For speech the only thing I have trouble with is the sounds "f" and "v" as some extra air comes out underneath the wire on the uppers and makes an extra sound.

-J