Sleeping with braces on

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dawnm

#16 Post by dawnm »

I'm having an issue but I blame the turbos. I'm constantly clanking my bottoms on the turbos when I sleep and it wakes me up, not to mention it hurts. I bought a mouth guard and shaved most of it off so it's basically now just allows me to bite down to keep my teeth from banging.

Clairey Fairey

#17 Post by Clairey Fairey »

Yey loads of replies, thanks guys.

Mostly positive replies too which is great. I'm a fussy sleeper, everything must be perfect in order for me to sleep. I have to be on my side and breathing through my nose (Yes, I really can't stand having a blocked nose coz I can't fall asleep breathing through my mouth.)

As I sleep on my side it was the wires digging in that were worrying me mainly, but all sounds good as no one seems to have many problems with it.

I think I grind my teeth in my sleep!!

Kat

#18 Post by Kat »

Ever since being braced I now whack my teeth together top to bottoms or bottoms to top and I am scared as hell of cracking/chipping my teeth (made a few threads about this).
I have to sleep ALL night on my back so the bottom jaw falls back a bit then I don't have this problem as much. If I turn slightly, WHACK and I have to get up to see if I broke the fron teeth off. If this happens to you ask your ortho about bonding a molar or two to keep a somewhat open bite. It helps but doesn't cure. Other than that the cats are zero problems.
:P

JumpTheDitch

#19 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Drool :: I never used to drool in my sleep (that I know of!). I certainly know about it now :roll:

Clenching :: A long time clencher it seems more frequent now, but it may be that the brackets, etc accentuate the effects.

Dry lips :: Possibly related to the drool thing. Again, maybe it's just that we notice these little things more now that we focus so much on all things dental.

Clairey Fairey

#20 Post by Clairey Fairey »

hehe yeah the drooling thing only usually happens if I have a cold, then I know about it!!

I have an overjet anyway so I've never really experianced the front teeth clashing together thing, would have to push my botton jaw out for them to meet!!

The only prob I can think of with drinking before bed and during the night is the need to goto the toilet in the night, which is annoying when your cosy and warm!!! :lol:

PfectPitch

#21 Post by PfectPitch »

My first abrasion on my inner lower lip happened while sleeping. I just put wax on the offending bracket and it healed up after a week. I use Biotene mouth rinse before bed which helps a lot with dryness.

Nawners

#22 Post by Nawners »

I concur with a few on here regarding the clenching and dry mouth. And dreaming about them! I have lots of dreams that they fall off...

The dry mouth is even worse if you have a head cold and a stuffed up nose. That is the worst. So definitely stay hydrated and take decongestants if you get a head cold! :thumbsup:
~There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus~

Huon

#23 Post by Huon »

No problems but can you tell me how to persuade my little dog to chase possums quietly and then not to come and tell me how brave she has been?
Huon

thesallymonster

#24 Post by thesallymonster »

I'm a side/stomach sleeper and I haven't really had any issues with sleep, except that I drool a lot more often now. I think I've also maybe picked up a clenching habit, which I hope will change with my bite.
*The Sallymonster*

Now in elastics, too! Since 2/25/09.

powderpuff

#25 Post by powderpuff »

I had nightmares that my mouth was wired shut for 2 nights. It's like day 7 or 8 and I am 100% normal sleeper. Just drink a lot of water and keep a glass of water by your bed. I haven't been using wax and have no sores! Yay!

ozkeeper

#26 Post by ozkeeper »

I got mine on today and have to wear a clear 'trainer' at night. It's like a mouthguard but really, really soft and is meant to protect the soft tissue from being irritated and also to get me to breathe through my nose instead of my mouth.