oh my teeth hurt

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sutsee

oh my teeth hurt

#1 Post by Sutsee »

So yesterday I got my upper braces on and was hardly in any pain, hard to chew but I was feeling pretty good. I woke up this morning and litterally my teeth felt like they were throbing. They hurt! Sad!

egocidal

#2 Post by egocidal »

Oh no :ouch: Are you taking anything for the pain? It's my turn tomorrow morning :shock: I'm thinking drink lots of icy shakes to numb in addition to getting nutrition. Hope you feel better!

loulou123

#3 Post by loulou123 »

Hi Sutsee

Just wanted to say it really does get better, tho i know it doesnt feel like it at the moment.

Try to keep eating, even if you can only manage very soft foods and drink plenty as being dehydrated makes the whole thing feel worse.

These next few days may be a little tough but gradually your forget there even there.

It'll all be worth it an the end.

Good luck :D

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

Sutsee

#4 Post by Sutsee »

So needed to hear that it's going to get better. I feel like a wimp! I had oatmeal this morning and just let it slide down. Soup is on the menu for lunch and dinner.

cowlypso

#5 Post by cowlypso »

Definitely try some tylenol or ibuprofen. It should at least take the edge off, if not get rid of the throbbing altogether. When my teeth have hurt, taking OTC meds has pretty much gotten rid of the overall pain, just leaving me with pain if I try to bite into anything.

Mac and cheese is a great food, too. Yogurt, applesauce, pudding...

DanceDiva

#6 Post by DanceDiva »

Ug, I remember those first few days...feels like someone hit you in the mouth with a baseball bat. I PROMISE it will get better...just hang in there :)

Sutsee

#7 Post by Sutsee »

Kiwi

I am heading over for the list of foods. Chew really? Ouch! I will try!

loulou123

#8 Post by loulou123 »

yep the tip on chewing is very very true. It sounds like were trying to make you in pain but were really not. :D

Im unable to eat on one side of my mouth due to a jaw problem and the fact im missing 2 teeth next to each other and have the archwire going over the gap, which my ortho has dared me to bite onto!

And the side i cant eat on always hurts much longer as the blood doesnt flow to the gums as quickly.

Hope your feeling bit better now.

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

ishasha

#9 Post by ishasha »

hug...

I was gonna open a new thread to cry over there, then I saw this one. Might as well cry with you... :-((

I came back from my adjustment appointment yesterday and my goodness it hurts!!! This is the harshest appointment I've ever had! :-((

The ortho didn't put the lowers on because she said my upper needs to be opened more. And she added a spring to make more space for my rotated canine. I don't know if it's because of that or what, the kind of feeling is driving me crazy------- itchy, sore, ache... :-(( My husband cooked one of my favorate dishes last night but I could only stare at it! :-((

I just had some oatmeal this morning. And same thing for the lunch.... It still hurts.... Why... I've never had so much pain before.... :-((

I know it will get better in several days but it just hurt so much that I wanna cry.... :-((

Next time they will put spacer in my lower for the two crowns that I have. I heard it hurts a lot. Oh no! :-((
Uppers braced on 10/24/2006
Lowers braced on 6/25/2007

egocidal

#10 Post by egocidal »

Aww! *hug ishasha*

That must have been terrible! And the itching + soreness + ache... I get that too, even in dreams I swear Lol. It's like, fall asleep to a painful mouth, wake up and it's the first thing that greets me in the morning. For some odd reason, painkillers like paracetamol don't work with me.

But perservere darling :D, someone's always achin' with you.

Kodius Champion

#11 Post by Kodius Champion »

My first day with braces? Not so bad, a novelty. :?

My second day? Ohhhhhh boy, I felt like I'd been drop-kicked in the face. Sore teeth, couldn't chew, my teeth "itched" and I wanted those damnable things OFF. :evil:

Day Two was definately the worst, though. By Day Four things were pretty much back to normal. So no worries, things definately get better, it's just that those first few days of adjustment are rough.

Here's to time passing quickly! :lol:

becks

#12 Post by becks »

I'm on day 3 and I'm still in the rip those bad boys out stage. Not for good...just for about an hour. So I can chew. My teeth aren't hurting awfully bad but the pokes and bulk are driving me crazy. Can't imagine how bulky the ceramics must feel....

slender

#13 Post by slender »

so sorry to hear that your teeth hurt, :( it will pass, soon enough you'll eating normal food again.

Good luck on your treatment. :pinkbraces:

timsmith

#14 Post by timsmith »

Sutsee,

Day 2 for me and I cannot believe how such a wimpy piece of 22 gauge wire can be causing me so much pain when I try to chew. Basically everything is fine with the braces until I either talk or eat! Talking is a problem because my lips have not got used to sliding over the brackets, eating has 2 issues, it feels like I keep biting me cheeks in several places and the pressure on several of my lower teeth causes quite a sharp pain. Hopefully by day 3 or 4 things will be better. The end goal is worth it, hang in there, we will make it together.

Tim

Clarity ceramic uppers, In Ovation metal lowers, 18 by 25 archwires and powerchain on top front 4

becks

#15 Post by becks »

Tim, What you described is exactly how I feel. The sharp pains and the issue with my lips sliding over the gums. I'm 4 days post-bracing and still can't eat. I did suck the juice out of a piece of steak tonight though 8) But really it was more of a tease than anything.

Here's to all of us recently braced being able to eat again and be pain free...til our first adjustments when apparently we get to start all over again :evil: