This is uncomfortable

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

becks

This is uncomfortable

#1 Post by becks »

I've been braced for 5 days now and I am still having trouble eating. Still only eating soft food. These braces feel so foreign in my mouth. They are pokey and I am really uncomfortable with how they feel against the inside of my lips & cheeks. I WANT THEM OUT so badly!! After wanting to get braces for so long and being so excited about making the decision to do it...why am I feeling this way now?? Please tell me I'm not the only one who has felt this way.

BraceFacePrincess

#2 Post by BraceFacePrincess »

I feel the same way. I just got mine on Friday and I'm also having trouble eating just the soft foods. It's also hard to brush and floss without experiencing some discomfort and my top lip hurts from rubbing against the braces. I'm hoping that it will get better and I will be able to adjust soon. :(

bracesafter40

#3 Post by bracesafter40 »

Hang tough you two...
Today is 20 days since I got braced (top only) and I can finally bite something, albeit a little. Your mouth is rebelling the foreign object, but will soon get used to it. Use your wax on the "sharp" edges and that helps a lot. Don't force it, but do try to eat something, as much as your mouth will bear. Stick with the soft foods, mash potatoes, pasta, cut everything up small and just try to chew very slow if you can. Soup is your best friend now.

As others have said, it will be well worth it.
A friend of mine showed me a picture of someone whose teeth look similar to mine a year after being braced, except the crowding is on the left instead of the right as I am and I'm excited as there is hope for me, as there is for you as well...

You can check out how I'm coping at my blog at http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com.

Top braced on Feb. 28, 2007
Will be top adjusted and bottom braced on April 4, 2007