Getting Braced tomorrow!!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

WiredforSound

Getting Braced tomorrow!!!!

#1 Post by WiredforSound »

Hi:

I am finally getting braces tomorrow (after waiting since October when this process began), [any words of advice?

I think I have everything (i.e. Rotadent, Dentakit, done salt water rinses) in order, but am so nervous and excited!!!!

Does the patient have to hold the lip/cheek opener (sorry don't know real name) or do anything else or can they just lay there? I am so worried if they give me a job to do, I will be too nervous to do it.

Good luck to everyone else getting braced on March 22!!

Here's to the beginning of a beautiful new smile :lol:
[/url]

Manicmomma

#2 Post by Manicmomma »

Congratualtions! :)

So, what exactly are the salt water rinses reparing us for? What does it do for us? Just curious. My brace day is March 31st and I was wondering if I should do those as well?
~~~Courage is fear that said it's prayers.~~~

WiredforSound

#3 Post by WiredforSound »

My understanding is that the salt water rinses help heal any sores, or cuts in the mouth and helps toughen up the mouth as well.

All I know is since I started doing them I haven't had any canker sores at all. I used to get canker sores after every dental visit or when a sharp piece of food scrapped my gums. So, on the advice of KK I started doing the rinses about 1.5 months ago.

Good luck on March 31st. Let us know how it goes. :D
[/url]

Manicmomma

#4 Post by Manicmomma »

Hmmm, guess I need to start doing this now then, huh? Thanks for the reply!
~~~Courage is fear that said it's prayers.~~~

SinOnYourLips

#5 Post by SinOnYourLips »

WiredforSound, yay and congrats!

I just got mines last week and know exactly how you're feeling!

No, you do NOT have to hold the "lip/cheek opener" (I also don't know the proper name lol) they close it in a way that it just stays. It's going to be a little weird, especially when they clean your teeth with acidy/bittery stuff that might accidently get in your throat (it got into mine) but they use suction and will clean it out. Don't worry it only sounds bad, its very bearable!

Let us know how it goes, and good luck! :D

becks

#6 Post by becks »

Nope, you just get to lay there and relax. Or try to anyway :) Congratulations and good luck!!!

chillin-in-grilz

#7 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

The only thing I did was hold a mirror:) That was for myself.
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007

Pirate Wench

#8 Post by Pirate Wench »

No patient involvement here either....Just laid there and tried not to swallow that etching stuff because it really is awful tasting. :yuck:

Good luck and remember to take an OTC pain killer (advil, tylenol, etc.) about 1/2 hour before your appoinment. This will take the edge off the proceedure.

Have fun!