Wisdom Teeth Extractions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Manicmomma

Wisdom Teeth Extractions

#1 Post by Manicmomma »

I'll be getting braces on the 31st (in about 2 weeks). I still have all 4 of my wisdom teeth. The top 2 are normal, but the bottom 2 are impacted and have only partically broken through the gums. They've been like that for years due to not having enough room in my lower jaw. My ortho is aware of this obviously, but hasn't said anything about having them removed before getting the braces put on. He even mentioned that he still had his wisdom teeth.

Does this sound normal?

Nervous

#2 Post by Nervous »

A few months after I got braces, my Ortho, made me get my wisdom teeth removed. No problems occurred whatsoever, luckily my bottom wisdom teeth never grew in so I only had to get the top ones removed. :D

Kodius Champion

#3 Post by Kodius Champion »

I still have all four of my wisdom teeth, all of which are impacted and still in my jawbone (the top two are slanted, the bottom ones are sideways!)

I've been braced since April (and August), and my ortho doesn't plan on going after them until my arches are straighted out (I still have one wonky tooth that's yet to come into line). They will come out at the same time as my orthognathic surgery is performed (if it's still required); otherwise, it'll just be the wisdom teeth getting removed.

timsmith

#4 Post by timsmith »

I have all mine, one lower is impacted, none have brackets on. I will have surgery on my lower jaw in about a year, I'm guessing that something may happen then, so far my ortho has said no extractions.

Clarity ceramic uppers, In Ovation metal lowers, 18 by 25 archwires and powerchain on top front 4

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

I've got one lower wisdom tooth on the wire, another (upper) is not bracketed (the only tooth that is "free"), a third (lower) was pulled 5 months into treatment and the fourth (upper) has been impacted for 35+ years and will stay put.

Naduah82

Re: Wisdom Teeth Extractions

#6 Post by Naduah82 »

Manicmomma wrote:I'll be getting braces on the 31st (in about 2 weeks). I still have all 4 of my wisdom teeth. The top 2 are normal, but the bottom 2 are impacted and have only partically broken through the gums. They've been like that for years due to not having enough room in my lower jaw. My ortho is aware of this obviously, but hasn't said anything about having them removed before getting the braces put on. He even mentioned that he still had his wisdom teeth.

Does this sound normal?
I still have my top wisdom teeth, they haven't came in at all yet. (My bottoms we're impacted like yours so I went to my dentist and he pulled them before I went to the ortho)They used to get food stuck in them and it took forever to clean them out. My ortho told me I don't have to get my top ones removed right now. She told me they might not ever bother me but if they do I can get them taken out then. I do however have to get a "extra" tooth thats in the roof of my mouth (hasn't came in) removed within 3 months of having braces. Who knew you could have "extra" teeth? lol It's the tooth thats next to your canine...not sure whats it's called but I have 3 of those all together.

Mommynbraces

Impaction

#7 Post by Mommynbraces »

Impaction only means that they have not erupted yet. The big questions is are they growing in side ways, rotated or out of occlusion. If they are growing out of occlusion then you need to have them extracted and if the are growing any way but the right way then have them extracted because this could later cause your teeth that have been treated to misalign. I would for sure talk to my Doctor (Orthodontist) about future treatment plans for the wisdome teeth. Good Luck!

Manicmomma

#8 Post by Manicmomma »

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories and advice with me. The ones that I have that are impacted are coming in sideways. I don't really ever get food trapped in them and really never have any problem with them. Maybe that is why he hasn't suggested having them removed yet. I guess he will do so if and when they become a problem during my treatment. I imagine they would though considering my bottom teeth are kinda crowed and there'll need to be room made for them.

Thanks!

Jenny5

#9 Post by Jenny5 »

Hi Manic,

I have 3 wisdom teeth (never got the 4th). None have erupted and at least 2 have grown forwards instead of through the gums. I asked my ortho about them before I started treatment and she said that she doesn't see a reason to have them out if they don't bother me and that they shouldn't affect my treatment. My dentist says the same, so that's good enough for me! If your ortho seems to be okay with them being in there, I wouldn't worry about it. It's still worth asking, but I'm guessing that if your ortho wanted you to get them out, he would have mentioned it.

Good luck!

ABraces2007

#10 Post by ABraces2007 »

Manic, many orthos are convienced that wisdom teeth spoil the ortho treatment and get them extracted, however normally if you have enough space and your wisdom teeth are straight, you can keep them, mine are at their place, 4 of them, and my ortho never told me having any extractions, however i had my upper #6 extracted as it was the only one with big filling in it and i had lack of space, so , i had to choose between my two premolars or my #6, so i obviously choose the one with filling, because other ones are in perfect condition, so now that i don`t have my molar, my ortho is supposed move my wisdom tooth till the space is closed when my front teeth are in their place.

Rickysa

#11 Post by Rickysa »

Manic, many orthos are convienced that wisdom teeth spoil the ortho treatment

Actually, wisdom teeth have gotten a bit of a bad rap with regard to orthodontics....lower incisors can be seen crowding up in folks that have had them removed or never had them.

More likely, it is late mandibular growth.

Having wisdom teeth removed is a good idea to prevent infection (if partially erupted), or cyst formation...but not to improve orthodontic "stability"

Dr. s
-Grad of UNC Ortho '92 (research centered around ceramic brackets)

Manicmomma

#12 Post by Manicmomma »

Thanks fo the responses and advice you guys. I asked my ortho and he said "Why remove them if you don't have any problems with them?" My lower ones that are impacted and coming in sideways rarely if ever give me any problems. Yea, I occassionally get a small amount of food stuck in them, but it's pretty easy for me to get the food out. He also said that if they do end up becoming a problem down the road into my treatment, that I can have them removed then.
~~~Courage is fear that said it's prayers.~~~