tommyfive's brace day

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tommyfive

tommyfive's brace day

#1 Post by tommyfive »

my top arch is braced! it was cake really, the hardest part was worrying about it and the ambivalence i had right up until i walked into the ortho's office. i thought about turning the car around a few times on the way there, but i persevered...

really it was a very easy, quick, and painless experience and any residual ambivalence i had about it went away as soon as i felt the tension of the archwire on my teeth.

for those of you who have veneers, bonding or crowns, be prepared that they might have to roughen those tooth surfaces a little more than the etching of normal healthy teeth would do in order to prep the surface for the adhesives. i'm having my veneers redone after the braces so my ortho (after confirming this) was a little more aggressive about roughening those veneers up a little; they can tend to not hold the glue as well as the normal tooth surface does. i'll let you know how it holds...

i am so glad i went with braces over invisalign! this is so much better for *me*. i think i needed this event to come to pass and to know that it's a change i've committed to.

it's been 5 hours so far and i can feel the tension building, especially when I finish eating something, and i know where my hotspots will be - back at those buccal tubes and the brackets in front of them with the big hooks on them are a little abrasive too.

after being up all night working when i had planned to get a good night's rest, at least i can say i wasn't up worrying about it!

now i just have to get used to these foreign objects in my mouth, and learn how to floss again!

april 19th for the bottom arch and 10-12 months until they come off!
-tommy
top arch braced 3/21/07
new wire on top 4/19
bottom arch braced 4/19
buccal tube lost on 5/4, replaced on 5/5
new bottom wire on 6/26 (I think)
top & bottom chains (round 1) installed on 7/24 (ouch)

ozkeeper

#2 Post by ozkeeper »

Just remember to take your wax out before brushing because I keep forgetting and it doesn't taste too great :wink:

Ives

#3 Post by Ives »

Nice, it's all down hill from here.
I'm starting on my 4th week and they allready feel like a part of me. Hardly know they are there, though they do remind me every now and then. Mostly when eating. Congrats and hope things move smoothly and quickly for you.

Ives
Braced March 1st 07

WiredforSound

#4 Post by WiredforSound »

Congratulations!! :D

Hope your journey is easy and painless!
[/url]

RightMyBite

#5 Post by RightMyBite »

Congrats on starting the process.

I also have veneers, which were roughed up to attach brackets. However, I'm not planning to have mine redone unless I have to, so I'm hoping the "roughing" won't be an issue when the braces finally come off...