Braced today!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

WiredforSound

Braced today!

#1 Post by WiredforSound »

Well, I finally did it. After worrying about it for months. My upper arch was braced this morning. It was so easy. Lower arch will be braced in 2-3 months.

So far, only a little tension. No pain. It just feels weird trying to get my lip over the front brackets.

Thank you to everyone for your advice. It really helped knowing what was going to happen.

My journey has begun!! :lol:
[/url]

becks

#2 Post by becks »

Congrats Wired. Glad to hear its gone well so far. My brace day itself was a good experience as well.

bracey

#3 Post by bracey »

congratulations :D
you will get used to that 'big lip' feeling in no time, I have my braces about 3 weeks now and they feel fine, I actually kind of like my teeth better with them on!!
I have the ceramics on my top front teeth and people keep asking if I have braces, that they never noticed? and that they look really good, which reinforces the fact that I probably worried way too much about this before I got them.....very glad I did it now,
annother thing I notice is other peoples teeth more!!! yikes
anyway well done wired and sorry for rambling on

Paul

#4 Post by Paul »

I just got braced today as well, both lower and upper sets braced at the same time, it took ages!(I almost feel asleep while it was being done)

I already had a meal and tried brushing after it, cant imagine how hard its gonna be to try and FLOSS!

Roughly how long will yours be on for wired?

tommyfive

#5 Post by tommyfive »

after a first day/night, i look back and there are a couple of things i've niticed:

the more i talk or eat, the more i notice those back brackets. the inside of my mouth will be sore with or without wax for a few days. for me it's not intolerable (yet) to go without wax, so i'm putting it off.

i *can* eat anything i want so far. i even tried (carefully!) some cut-up raw carrots.

i seem to always feel like there's food caught in the braces.

haven't figured out how to smile comfortably yet, but actually smiling is more comfy than keeping my mouth closed. can't be bothered trying to conceal the braces.

lips & inside of mouth are not exactly swollen, but seem to feel a little plumper than yesterday. can't see a real difference in the mirror...

had some aching above my molars, which went away easily with advil.

advil is my friend!
-tommy
top arch braced 3/21/07
new wire on top 4/19
bottom arch braced 4/19
buccal tube lost on 5/4, replaced on 5/5
new bottom wire on 6/26 (I think)
top & bottom chains (round 1) installed on 7/24 (ouch)

twentyone

#6 Post by twentyone »

I got braced today too!

I also found that smiling was more comfortable than keeping my mouth closed, but now I'm adjusting to it.

I've noticed that it hurts to hold my back teeth together (my natural bite) so it's taking some adjusting to remember that I can't clinch my teeth anymore.

bracesafter40

#7 Post by bracesafter40 »

Congrats you two! Welcome to the club...

http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com
top braced on Feb. 28, 2007
bottom braces to be applied on April 4.

WiredforSound

#8 Post by WiredforSound »

Thanks for the encouragement! My braces will be on somewhere from 20-22 months.

Congrats to Paul and Twentyone. Hope your first day went well!!

My first day went really well. Last night, advil did become my new best friend around 1 am. I grind my teeth and when I did it last night..oh boy, did that hurt. My back molars no longer touch and when I try to chew it does hurt. Other than that, the braces aren't nearly as bad as I thought they might be.

So far no wax has been needed. Can feel a few areas that feel like they are rubbing but the salt water rinses must be helping as there aren't any raw areas.

I agree smiling is much easier than trying to keep my mouth closed. Glad to hear the fat lip feeling will go away soon.
[/url]