Relocating while in treatment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rkjohnson1969

Relocating while in treatment

#1 Post by rkjohnson1969 »

I read the very good article about relocating - but I was wondering if there is anyone with personal experience? I would think even just switching orthodontists would be similar....

I am expecting to have a job offer in California in about a year - just got my Innovation Rs put on (top in Jan, bottom this month). I might get lucky and be done by then, but of course there are no guarantees in this game.

I'm already scouting around trying to find out if there are orthos in the Sacramento area using Innovation Rs - unfortunately there aren't locators on their site....and I'll discuss the possibility with my current ortho on my next appointment - but I'm sure you can imagine that this is a huge factor in my decision!

Does anyone have insight on what to expect after such a transition?

tommyfive

#2 Post by tommyfive »

my ortho will prorate you out of their contract, leave the braces on, help you find a new ortho in the new location and assist the new ortho through the transition.
-tommy
top arch braced 3/21/07
new wire on top 4/19
bottom arch braced 4/19
buccal tube lost on 5/4, replaced on 5/5
new bottom wire on 6/26 (I think)
top & bottom chains (round 1) installed on 7/24 (ouch)

becks

#3 Post by becks »

Pretty sure most ortho's have contingency plans in situations where a patient is moving during treatment. I see you are in Augusta, which is near a military base. I'm sure with the transient nature of a community like that it won't be something your ortho hasn't had before! :lol: But certainly an issue that needs posing before the time comes.

By the way, I live in GA too....down in the Ft. Stewart/Savannah area.

rkjohnson1969

#4 Post by rkjohnson1969 »

I'm sure you're both right - it's probably a lot easier than I'm imagining! Thanks for the advice!

Dovechild20

#5 Post by Dovechild20 »

Am I allowed to bump this up for more personal stories and accounts? :oops:

Hubby and I will be relocating here soon and im wondering about how the process of switching orthos will go (kinda nervous since im relatively early in my treatment).

dugsmom

#6 Post by dugsmom »

I, too, might be moving sometime within the year. I haven't gotten my braces on yet but I am hoping to start the process in August. I have been putting off braces for 10 years because we move too much but now I have started having problems with my teeth (molar is tipped and is hitting upper teeth which is causing cavities on that tooth and lots of pain) so I can't wait any longer. I am nervous about switching ortho's...just wondering if anyone has experienced this? I'd like to know what to expect...thanks
Dugsmom