Braces and dentists - please help!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bambulka

Braces and dentists - please help!

#1 Post by bambulka »

Hi there,

I am having braces fitted on 13Apr (finally decided to take the plunge after 2 years!), having ceramics on uppers and have not decided about lowers yet. What I need to know (cos I forgot to ask my orthodontist) is what happens if I need any dental work done while I have the braces on? What if I get a toothache one day and need to have a filling? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Also, I am thinking about having the white colour wire for the first month or two (until I get used to them), does anyone have any experience with the white colour wire cos my ortho said he does not like the white wires much but I can have it if I want.

Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated.
Many many thanks,

Bambulka

Manicmomma

#2 Post by Manicmomma »

I didn't know that a white wire was even anoption. I've never heard of them. I wonder why your ortho doesn't like them?
~~~Courage is fear that said it's prayers.~~~

bambulka

#3 Post by bambulka »

Yes, you can have white wire and the orthos don't like them cos it is basically the metal wire coated in white colour and the colour can sometimes peel off so that's why. However, I think that it is a great option when you are getting used to them.

Manicmomma

#4 Post by Manicmomma »

Ahhhh, ok. Thanks you guys. :)
~~~Courage is fear that said it's prayers.~~~

Mommynbraces

LUCKY ( Green with invy)

#5 Post by Mommynbraces »

I wish I could get my braces sooner. I had to wait until all the kids went back to school. All the spring breakers have taken all the slots. I get my braces three days after yours. I have spacers in now and it actually is very sore when I chew on food. :lol:

Spacers placed: March 13th 2007
Teeth Cleaned: March 20th 2007
Braced: April 3rd 2007

bambulka

#6 Post by bambulka »

Thanks very much for all your replies and support. There was one more thing I meant to ask. Some of you seem to also have the ligs on your braces - it this always necessary? My ortho has not mentioned anything about ligs so I am not sure if I will have to have them. Why do you need ligs on your braces? And if you don't have them, does that mean you can eat any food (like curry) and it won't stain your ceramic braces? I read on this forum that it is the ligs that stain, not the brackets.

Thank you in advance.