Weight loss due to having braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jalapeno

#16 Post by jalapeno »

I haven't lost any weight since getting braced about 10 days ago. Since I'm trying to gain weight I am making sure I still eat as much as before.

Eating a lot of beans, Indian food, mexican, thai, scrambled eggs, protein/oatmeal smoothies. Basically the same diet I had before. I usually eat about four meals a day.

For salad cut it up a bit first.

For sandwiches or bread I usually cut into pieces first because biting through a sandwich feels too strange. Can bite through tacos/burritos now though. But have given up crusty bread/baguettes for sandwiches in favour of sliced bread.

I've learned the partial chew where your teeth don't come to a full grind, takes a little longer but works! I have bumpers on so can't bite down all the way.

Pepper

#17 Post by Pepper »

I lost about fifteen pounds after the first week of having them.

jalapeno

#18 Post by jalapeno »

KK wrote:Jalapeno it's awesome that you're doing so well ... and with buildups! :thumbsup:

You're a great example! :banana:
thanks KK :D Maybe not, I have popped off a bracket already... only took me 10 days to do that.

becks

#19 Post by becks »

I have a bumper on too Jalapeno. It really messed up my ability to chew for a few days. I'm almost 2 weeks post bracing and generally eat whatever I want now. No weight loss here. I do still eat some soft foods but that is out of choice not necessity. I had homemade pizza tonight and even bit into a homemade hamburger last night...carefully but bit it none the less.
Braced ~ March 13, 2007

gunter8888

#20 Post by gunter8888 »

Let me start by saying I avoid scales like the plague. So, I have no exact numbers to go on. However, this past Sunday I got out a pair of shorts (yea! Spring is here!) I bought late last summer. When I bought them they fit perfectly. Sunday as I played outside with the kids I noticed that they kept falling down. I mentioned it to my wife and she said she noticed that I was looking slimmer. Wooohooo!

I still eat what I want, but I find that I avoid eating sometimes because I don't want the hassles of getting it out of my braces and replacing my elastics.

18 months from now I will not only have a great smile, but a slimmer body. SWEEEEET! :jump:
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

spaced*out

#21 Post by spaced*out »

I myself have lost 15 pounds, but I don't know if its from me starting to run miles or from the braces but I hope I keep loosing it . It won't hurt my figure a bit :)

bracesafter40

#22 Post by bracesafter40 »

Eating is getting better now, but I still cannot eat whatever I want as some of you all state here. It is only 28 days since braced.
I had a Foccacia with grilled chicken sandwich today and I still ahd to cut it into four pieces, but I was able to bite it, very slowly...
Now at 12lbs. off since being braced.
Good stories folks, keep them coming.
http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com
Bridge Sectioned: Feb. 14, 2007
Last Pre-braces cleaning: Feb. 20, 2007
#21 Extraction: Feb. 20, 2007
Sentenced: 32 months
Top Braced: Feb 28, 2007
Bottom Braced: Apr. 4, 2007
New Ortho on Apr. 25, 2008
May 6; fluorescent blue ligs incl. upper powerchains. 2 elastics; Sept. 2, 2008.
Next Adj.: July 7, 2009 at 8:30a

Jayne

#23 Post by Jayne »

Firstly, apologies for dragging up an ancient thread!

Since getting braced in March, I've lost 14lb. I was starting to get worried about it because although I wanted to lose a little weight, to lose that much in such a short space of time was starting to concern me.

However, reading this thread has really put my mind at ease. Thanks everyone! :D

EmbraceMe

#24 Post by EmbraceMe »

I got my braces on 2 weeks ago. That combined with the spacers the week prior, I have lost 12 pounds! Woo Hoo! That is about the only thing that I am thrilled about right now :-)

Each day I am attempting to eat foods a little more challenging, but have not been snacking or eating in the evenings, so that is probably contributing to the weight loss.

wired after 50

#25 Post by wired after 50 »

I have lost 10 pounds since I got my braces on. I had to go out this last week and get new pants to wear to work because my old ones were falling off me. My eating pattern has changed as I use to eat 5 small meals a day and now it is more like a small breakfast, medium lunch and regular dinner. I really can not afford to lose the weight as I am almost 5'9" and am now down to 120 pounds. I was 141 pounds 4 years ago before I was diagnosed with cancer and lost 16 pounds during the treatments. I had gained back to 131 before I got my braces. Dairy is a migraine trigger to me so I can't have ice cream or other high calorie dairy products.

I had the first square wire put on this last Thursday morning and my teeth are sore and my mouth is cut up. I have to start the salt water rinses again. (You would can not imagine the amount of wax I put on last night to keep my braces from cutting up my cheeks while I slept).

But so far based on the results I can say it has been worth it. My teeth are looking great and my TMJ is all but gone.

Susan

HeadgearJoe

#26 Post by HeadgearJoe »

yep me to , i'm 6'1 an was 230 when i started , years later i'm 200 , an just stay around 196 to 200, i don't snack at all like i use to because , with all this in my mouth i don't want to have to brush ,pick, clean all the time so i just don't snack much , wonder if i'll gain any of it back after the braces are removed ,
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

jf74

#27 Post by jf74 »

I lost around 10 pounds during the first 2 weeks I had braces. Not really because of tenderness, but mainly because I stopped snacking so much ( so I don't have to brush all the time ) and I had difficulty finding a decent bite. My teeth were not closing properly because of molar buildup ( my lower teeth were hitting the upper brackets ) and it took me a while to find a way to chew properly.

I have not gained it back but my weight is now stable. I just eat more during my main meals and when I want to snack I eat something I can just rinse off and easily clean, like yogourt.

Higgy

#28 Post by Higgy »

I haven't felt like snacking since the elastics....I don't wear mine when I eat or brush...but really...it's not worth the hassle (perhaps just laziness there)...so I guess it could be feasible to lose wieght with them.

HeyTeach

#29 Post by HeyTeach »

wish they would cause some weight loss. No such luck. I no longer snack, as so many of you have said it's too much trouble. Over time that may help, but really no change in the initial weeks. Maybe things to come will alter that.

idolfan4

#30 Post by idolfan4 »

I didn't lose any weight when I got braces. I just got really fat, because all the healthy stuff like apples and carrots, I couldn't have unless they were cut into small pieces and I didn't want to deal with that.