Bite Plates

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Manicmomma

Bite Plates

#1 Post by Manicmomma »

How do these work?

#1 - Are they something you have to get fitted for or when they see that you need one, they just pop one in?

#2 - Do you wear them for the duration that you have your braces on?

#3 - How to they prevent your bottom teeth from "hiding" behind your top teeth when it is removed? Does it somehow change the way you bite down?

Thanks in advance!
~~~Courage is fear that said it's prayers.~~~

lea72104

#2 Post by lea72104 »

I will be getting one next friday. To answer your questions to the best i can....1) they will do an impression for them (they did mine when they put the top brackets and spacers on) 2. I will have to wear mine until my tooth comes forward 3. Hmmm i'm not sure...i will let you know next week

HOpe this helps a bit. you can check out my pics to see what i mean by my bite and why i needed one.
Sheleah

joney

#3 Post by joney »

My daughter wore a bite plate on top for a month prior to being braced. However most people here seem to wear them for a bit longer than that. It is like a hawley retainer but it fits in the roof of your mouth also and it will be moulded to fit your teeth from your impressions. Also my daughter's bite plate had a lump behind her front teeth to stop her biting down. She adjusted really well to it and could speak clearly by the end of the first day and she was very good about wearing it even when eating. The advantage is that you can take it out to clean your teeth.

As my daughter had an overbite I think the bite plate was used to extrude her molars therefore opening her bite more and reducing the overbite. Not sure quite how they do this but I read somewhere that teeth will move as needed and if her bite was opened at the back as a result of wearing the bite plate then her teeth would respond by extruding.

I hope it goes well for you. It definitely did the job for my daughter.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

fitchick

#4 Post by fitchick »

Hi ManicMomma,

I had impressions before getting my bite plate fitted. It went in at the same time as my lower brace and TPA. When I asked how long I'd have it for, he said 'most likely the duration of your treatment'. It took me a little while to adjust to speaking without the lisp, but I attributed this to having the TPA as well. I was given the bite plate because my lower teeth were biting into the roof of my mouth and those teeth were hardly visible. When I bite down, my teeth hit the bite plate and that eventually knocks the lower jaw down. I chose this option over jaw surgery! You can view my lowers and the progress that the bite plate has made in my post Fitchick's 6mth progress pics. I hope this helps you.
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

platinum

#5 Post by platinum »

#1 - Are they something you have to get fitted for or when they see that you need one, they just pop one in?

#2 - Do you wear them for the duration that you have your braces on?

#3 - How to they prevent your bottom teeth from "hiding" behind your top teeth when it is removed? Does it somehow change the way you bite down?
1. I had an impreeion for my Hawley retainer type bite plate done.

2. I have to wear as long as I do not knock lower brackets off anymore.

3. Yep.

I should wear my retainer all the time, but I don't wear it at work. I still have horrible lisp with it. My ortho said that many adults have problems with biteplates.

lea72104

#6 Post by lea72104 »

i also wanted to mention that my bite plate will be on my lowers. I know a few people on this forum have it for their uppers. Mine from my understanding will look like a gelb splint (i think it's the same thing really)

jennielee81

#7 Post by jennielee81 »

My 12 year old has one because of a deep bite.

I was told that since her molars could no longer contact each other, they would rise a little bit out of the gum and so when she closes her (bite) mouth after the "work is done" her molars will meet sooner and her lower teeth will no longer be covered by her upper teeth.

It is working! Since the only time her molars contact with anything, it is food when she's eating, her molars move (slowly) towards one another. (top down, bottom up)

Hope that makes sence!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

platinum

#8 Post by platinum »

I guess the situation is different with kids, as their teeth are still growing. My biteplate does not anything special, it just prevents me to not knock my lower brackets off. This was told me by the ortho.

Manicmomma

#9 Post by Manicmomma »

jennielee81 wrote:My 12 year old has one because of a deep bite.

I was told that since her molars could no longer contact each other, they would rise a little bit out of the gum and so when she closes her (bite) mouth after the "work is done" her molars will meet sooner and her lower teeth will no longer be covered by her upper teeth.

It is working! Since the only time her molars contact with anything, it is food when she's eating, her molars move (slowly) towards one another. (top down, bottom up)

Hope that makes sence!
Thanks! That helps clear it up for me. I was wodnering how they worked.

Manicmomma

#10 Post by Manicmomma »

platinum wrote:I guess the situation is different with kids, as their teeth are still growing. My biteplate does not anything special, it just prevents me to not knock my lower brackets off. This was told me by the ortho.
Hmmm. So, what do you eat? HOW do you eat? I'm really worried about knocking my lower brackets off when I get them on.

iBorg

#11 Post by iBorg »

I've had a bite plate since September. I figure I'll one (I'm on my third and expect a new one on Wednesday) until forever. As for eating, sometimee you will notice it, sometimes not. Until this weekend, it wasn't a factor but my current bite plate isn't fitting well and I had difficulty eating steak. Guess it really hasn't slowed me down.

The lisp is a bt of a factor. I know its time to have it adjusted when I have more salvia or lisp louder.

Hope this helps.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

platinum

#12 Post by platinum »

Hmmm. So, what do you eat? HOW do you eat? I'm really worried about knocking my lower brackets off when I get them on
I eat more carefully when I do not have my retainer on. I can almost everything :)

windsbud

#13 Post by windsbud »

I have a bite plate on the bottom. My ortho said it basically keeps my teeth from closing completely allowing movement...I have a cross bite. I should say HAD a cross bite! There has been an incredible change in my bite since I was braced in October. Shouldnt have to wear the plate much longer. I do have trouble with lisping and must remove the plate to eat.