Facial structure changing?? Arch wire loops??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

WeezieGirl25

Facial structure changing?? Arch wire loops??

#1 Post by WeezieGirl25 »

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted for awhile so I figured I would give a quickie update. Well today I had my most interesting adjustment yet. I got a powerchain put on my top four front teeth and a couple of "kinks" put in my top arch wire to get my teeth even. (A couple teeth were sitting a little bit higher than the others). The powerchain is making me a little bit achy but I should be fine in a few days.

Anyways, my questions is has anyone noticed a difference in their facial structure since getting braces? I have had an expander in for the last 6 months and I'm noticing that my cheekbones are more defined. When I look at pictures of myself pre-braces I think I look significantly different! I love my new cheekbones!! I'm thinking that the expander might be responsible for the change in my face?? Also, today at my appointment, the orthodontist made a loop on my top arch wire on both sides... Does anyone know what this is for?? I completely forgot to ask!! I have a feeling he is getting me ready for elastics?? Any thoughts?

WeezieGirl25

Nervous

#2 Post by Nervous »

I don't think it's uncommon for one's face to change during braces. My face has change. My family has commented that my braces make me look younger, while at the same time what the braces have done to my face make me look older!

starryeyedfairy

#3 Post by starryeyedfairy »

I have found a similar change Weezie,

before I had a very flat type mid-face section and now I find that have some form of cheekbones... I'm not taking supermodel amazing, but they're better than before.

I find that my face has become wider and my top lip has become a tad more defined than it was before.

I had to wear an expander for 5 months, and then this other kind of like expander-holder-place thing (as you can see I have much knowledge on orthodontics lol) for another 3 months.

As well as having to wear reverse head gear for 5 months (thankfully only at night)

Cor1

Me too!!

#4 Post by Cor1 »

Hi there, yup I have Cheekie bones now too!!!!!!!! which I never really had before, I luuuuuuuuuv it!!!

Cor1

iBorg

#5 Post by iBorg »

you mean there's hope for me?

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Slickster

#6 Post by Slickster »

It's known that an arch expander can certainly change your face shape. Are you guys under 21 i.e. still growing? I am late 20s and pretty happy with my appearance, so I was concerned of a change in face shape, but my ortho reckons the expansion will be so small "a few mm" that it won't make any difference... Also, did you guys have a significant amount of expansion?

WeezieGirl25

#7 Post by WeezieGirl25 »

Hi Slickster,

I'm 23 so I guess I'm still growing... or at least I'd like to think so! :D . I started out with a pretty narrow upper arch. My ortho put in the upper arch expander to try to correct a crossbite I had on one side of my arch. I've had the expander for 6 months.

phanta

#8 Post by phanta »

I'm 27 and my face has changed quite a bit after getting braced. Well, it was slightly asymmetrical before, due to a molar extraction a few years ago but I think it was only visible to me.

My upper teeth have seriously shifted to the right (which is bad but temporary), and I guess the move restored the bone that was missing from the extracted molar. I can feel the bone where there was a hollow spot, and I can also see it: I used to have a naso-labial fold - wrinkle! - on the right side from smiling. This wrinkle has smoothed out almost completely. So while my entire face looks more asymmetrical because of shifted midlines, when I keep my mouth closed and you don't see the midline, it looks more even than before.

They say symmetrical faces are more attractive, so I'm hoping for the best :) But braces definitely change your face!

My Braces Story at www.bracedblog.com

19Braceface

#9 Post by 19Braceface »

yea...cheekbones are more prominent which i personally don't like...hope the changes are not permanent, but for those of you who like it...hope it is? :wink:

starryeyedfairy

#10 Post by starryeyedfairy »

i'm 20, turning 21 at the end of this year.

and they still put me in reverse head-gear (and an upper expander)... it was a chance, but we still took it and it worked :).