POLL: Advil(Ibuprofen) Vs. Tylonel(Acetaminophen) for Gums

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KatK

POLL: Advil(Ibuprofen) Vs. Tylonel(Acetaminophen) for Gums

#1 Post by KatK »

Hello All! I just got my braces on yesterday, and I'm normally and advil person, but I'm thinking about trying Tylonel. Any opinions?
~ Pendulum on December 1st
~ Damon lowers March 27
~ PENDULUM OFF MAY 22nd!
~ Palatal Bar installed May 22nd..
~ Damon clear uppers May 22 too!

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

I usually go the ibuprofen route for anything braces-related. It has anti inflammatory properties which seems to be useful if I get discomfort after adjustments. After I had my mini-screws put in, my ortho said that I could take ibuprofen AND paracetamol (acetaminophen) if needed, as they work to block pain in different ways.

Nawners

#3 Post by Nawners »

I would have to say ibuprofen. IMO it works better, and for a longer period of time. It's also an anti-inflammatory, so that probably helps.
~There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus~

Kroozergirl

#4 Post by Kroozergirl »

My Ortho told me not to use Advil as it can slow the movement of your teeth....So I use Tylenol.

Lisa65

#5 Post by Lisa65 »

There was a thread on here recently about the use of NSAIDS like ibuprofen and the possibility of an adverse effect on tooth movement. I looked for it but couldn't find it. There's an article here that mentions the topic, but the general consensus seems to be that occasionally taking NSAIDS for tooth pain during orthodontic treatment is not enough to hold up the treatment. You'd have to be taking them regularly for it to make a significant difference.

Here's the link http://www.oc-j.com/2-99/drug.htm

and here's another link that says the ibuprofen is the drug of choice http://www.edu.rcsed.ac.uk/Surgeons%20A ... tistry.HTM

Danielle

#6 Post by Danielle »

I use Aleve and my Ortho prescribed Ibuprofen for me (when I had a very minor gum "surgery"--I only took one pill). I find that Aleve works better for me than over the counter Advil or Asprin... I have yet to try Tylenol post-adjustments.
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present

lisaemtp

#7 Post by lisaemtp »

I take ibuprofen because of the anti-inflammatory properties and because I've just always preferred it... but it can be rough on your stomach if you are prone to ulcers (take it with food). Acetominophen should be avoided if you have liver problems, and should not be taken in large doses (more than recommended) because it can harm the liver.

MsTiaLia

#8 Post by MsTiaLia »

My ortho is not a fan of ibuprofen. He says that b/c it is an anti-inflammatory, it reduces gum swelling that is necessary for your teeth to have ample room to move around. Unfortunately, Ibuprofen is really the only thing that helps with my braces-related pain. So mostly I try to suck it up and deal with the pain, but every once in a while (after painful adjustments) I do take Ibuprofen.

SnowSara

#9 Post by SnowSara »

I use Aleve, (naproxen sodium) for the worst of it, ibuprofen on days where I'm just a little uncomfortable. I used extra strength tylenol on the day of my last adjustment, and it did nothing!! I went right back to aleve.

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

jennandtonic

#10 Post by jennandtonic »

My ortho says that ibuprofin, as long as I'm not taking it excessively, won't slow down treatment in any way that she or I would notice. She said for it to slow down treatment I would have to take it every single day, and I usually just take it twice--once before my adjustment, and once after if the adjustment is painful. Tylenol never usually works on my pain.

skyclad

Well...

#11 Post by skyclad »

I use aleve for headaches and such so it would seem natural to me to use aleve for braces pain.
When you win, nothing hurts....Joe Namath