Questions from Newbie

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JadeBlue

Questions from Newbie

#1 Post by JadeBlue »

Thanks for all the great info, everyone, about types of treatment! I've learned a lot but still have a couple of questions:

1. Why do many people wear clear/ceramic brackets on top and metal ones on the bottom? Is it just because the bottom doesn't show as much, or are there other reasons?

2. I know that brackets come in many types and colors, but what about arch wires? Is there just the one (silver, stainless) type? Do gold or clear arch wires exist?

Thanks!
-Jade (40, first consult soon)

jenfire

#2 Post by jenfire »

1. I have ceramic braces on both the top and bottom. I think some people get metal on lower and ceramic on top because they are not seen as much or the orthodontist may not like putting them on the lowers as KK stated. Another possible reason is cost--I think it cost me about $25-$50 extra for each ceramic bracket than if I got metal. Maybe they figure it's worth it for the uppers but not for the lowers (since they aren't as visible).

2. I think some people have had white archwires (but they have had problems with the white coloring chipping off). I have only had the silver archwire.

jenfire
Ceramic Braces and RPE, estimated treatment 18 months

Manicmomma

#3 Post by Manicmomma »

Oh man, how awesome would that be if there was a clear archwire!?! One can wish, right?
~~~Courage is fear that said it's prayers.~~~

ABraces2007

#4 Post by ABraces2007 »

hi Jade.
I think only your ortho can tell you if ceramic or metal braces are good for you. And as others said, have at least 2 oppinions about your treatment. I wear titanium braces both upper and lower teeth and i love them no matter what, cause i wanted them so much, nevertherless, it was my ortho who insisted she couldn`t use ceramics on me. I don`t care, i`m so cute with titanium once as well..... Love beeing a "Braceface"!!!!!!
Alexandra.

Kat

#5 Post by Kat »

As above, I did mine just for looks. Clear on the top and metal on the bottom. I'm very happy this way and wouldn't want the metals on the top.
I feel much better about smiling this way, people don't notice them much and the bottoms aren't a big deal and they don't show much unless I smile real big. Pictures come out like I'm not even in braces, you can't see them at all.

platinum

#6 Post by platinum »

I have metal bottom and i will get ceramic top. Metal is OK for teenies.
I guess it depends how do you look with metal. My metal bottoms show when I talk, and I have quite a small mouth it looks like metal pouring out of my mouth. Not very beatiful, and seriously, i used to be good looking. Now I look like a nerd...

If you have quite straight teeth and nicely shaped you to start with metal does not look that bad. Assuming that metal fits to your face.

Carolinahigh12

#7 Post by Carolinahigh12 »

test
[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

~~~Nicole~~~

dramaqueendaisy

#8 Post by dramaqueendaisy »

Hi Jade.

I was braced 3 weeks ago with ceramics top and bottom although that seems quite rare from what I can tell from this site. I have a white wire on the top set and a metal one on the bottom because it had to be finer than the white one. I'm really chuffed with how they look...you can hardly tell in photos.

Good luck with your consultations! :HugeGrin:

JadeBlue

#9 Post by JadeBlue »

> I'm really chuffed with how they look...you can hardly tell in photos.

Heehee. Love that expression! Wish "chuffed" would catch on in the states! :P

Thanks for sharing your braces inventories, everyone. I don't think I'm brave enough for the full metal-mouth at my age (hats off to those who are!), especially because I've already done that once in my life.

-JadeB

nickym

#10 Post by nickym »

I was told that having ceramics on the bottom can erode the top teeth if they come into contact, as kk says, they are made of a very hard material compared with the metal. I have metal and the bottom and they don't show at all.