My braces and a bit of advice wanted

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jayne

My braces and a bit of advice wanted

#1 Post by Jayne »

Hey all

I'm new here so apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I also did a search before I posted but couldn't find what I was looking for. Again, apologies if I'm repeating something thats already been said!

Anyhow, I just got my braces yesterday. Today I notice that the gap between my two top front teeth has already closed half-way! :shock: Is this normal?

Also, one of my brackets has come off already!! :evil: I haven't eaten any hard foods, I haven't had ANY soda drinks, in fact nothing's passed my lips other than tea and soup. I don't think it's shoddy workmanship as my dentist is the best dentist out there, could it just be the pressure of my teeth moving so fast?

Thanks in advance for any replies! :D

SDFD TSchott

#2 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Welcome to the club and the fourms. As far as I know some people relize fast movement and some see slow movement.

As for your gap closing 1/2 way already thats fast but I'm sure as treatment continues gaps will open and close as your teeth shift. A bracket coming off I'm not sure what would cause that other then a possibility that the tooth wasn't prepped just right or something I don't know the answer to that one.

With the bracket coming off I would recommend going back to the ortho to have the bracket but back on.

~Tim~

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

susieq182

#3 Post by susieq182 »

Glad to hear you have jointed the club. The gap closing up is pretty normal you may see alot of fast movement right off the bat. Then it seems that things slow down a bit. I think that brackets sometimes just pop off for pretty much unknown reasons. then again they can get knocked off to. If you do a search for lost brackets or popped off you will see that it is very common to have a bracket go missing. I personally lost 2 sitting in the ortho's chair. The important thing is to get the bracket replaced as soon as you can. you should call your ortho and set up a time to get it replaced ASAP.
Good Luck!! and welcome to the club
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

Jayne

#4 Post by Jayne »

WOW, thanks for the fast replies! :D

This is actually my second time with braces, I had them as a kid but wasn't given a retainer so over the years my teeth have moved back to where they were. Grrrr. So now, at 35, I'm starting again, lol.

Also, the one I had as a child was just a wire on a plate. I expected this set to be metallic but they're ceramic and you can hardly tell I'm wearing braces at all, although I can feel them!! (Not had any pain yet though).

I'll be ringing the dentist first thing to make an appointment to go and get the bracket put back on!!! I might even post some piccies if I feel brave enough!!

Jayne

#5 Post by Jayne »

Thanks Karen! :D

I'm off to the dentist in about 30 mins for him to stick the bracket back on. The gap between my two front teeth seems to have widenened again this morning but I think that's cause the bracket has fallen off?

Anyway, I'll post some piccies later and you can all see the state of my mouth, lol!!