moving teeth back - will it cause face to change

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Irinadax

moving teeth back - will it cause face to change

#1 Post by Irinadax »

lots of talk on this forum about changing faces - and i'm certainly concerned about mine. i'm 35 btw and i know that it might be different for adults.

i had two upper bicuspids extracted and have powerchains on, working on closing the gap. one side is not closing too good, but we're working on it. HOWEVER - this is casuing a NEW gap between my canine and upper 2's. now my ortho wants to MOVE the top four front teeth BACK to close the canine/upper 2's gap. But I'm really concerned this movement backward will flatten my upper lip and change my profile.

Has anyone had this done? is the change significant?

any thoughts? i'm scared of a permanent face change. :cry:

19Braceface

#2 Post by 19Braceface »

:wink: Turn that frown upside down...im 19 turning 20 in two months, and i used to have my teeth pushed in because, well that's how they came out because of my old baby teeth not ready to leave my mouth! :shock: and my teeth were pretty far back and i used to love my face...just not my teeth...i'm sure your ortho is going to do a wonderful job with your teeth and if your teeth are being pushed back a bit, im sure it wont be as bad as mine originally were...by the way...i think it might even make you look younger! my old teeth being pushed back made me have more "baby=face* features...now my teeth pushed out give me a more prominent-defined look... :? but i can bet my right pinky toe your teeth and face will look wonderful!

jess214

#3 Post by jess214 »

I'm actually going through something similar, except I had all four bicuspids extracted. My dentist is currently working on closing the gaps on the top first (bottom later) with two springs, connecting my molar to my canine on each side. I haven't really asked him whether he's going to move my upper twos back, but since I have that new gap between my canine and the tooth next to it (the one closer to the center), I'm guessing that we're in similar situations. My canine now has gaps on both its left and right. :?
braced w/ ceramic brackets & wire ligs - 28th Nov, 06
debanded! + Essix retainers - 5th Nov, 08

Irinadax

#4 Post by Irinadax »

sounds like we're in a similar situation Jess.

thanks for responding with such encouragment Braceface19, I really needed to hear that!! :)

jmrut22

#5 Post by jmrut22 »

I had four bicuspids extracted too. My teeth are being pushed back. I have a large overjet. Yes, it did make me mouth flatter, but honestly it looks so much better, especially in profile. The only thing I dont like about the teeth is that my smile is not as wide BUT it does look better so I guess its the trade off.