How long before braces go on did you have a cleaning?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Genie

How long before braces go on did you have a cleaning?

#1 Post by Genie »

I assume everybody goes for a cleaning before the braces goes on? I wanted to ask when you go for the cleaning? Is it 1 month before or 1 week before?

My brace day is in May... (I've to wait for so long!!!) so I'll like to know when to book a cleaning appt. Thanks!

Sorry I think this might have been discussed in other threads so I searched but can't find a topic on this in the forum... :oops:

Jayne

#2 Post by Jayne »

Hi there

I don't know about anyone else, but my dentist cleaned my teeth the day he put my braces on. Maybe yours will be the same?

Genie

#3 Post by Genie »

Hi!
Sorry, I mean cleaning AND checking for any need for fillings etc.
Yup I think my ortho will too. He mentioned it during the consultation.
I was actually asking about doing a dental check before bracing.

Sorry for not including "checking" in my earlier thread.

Jayne

#4 Post by Jayne »

Ahh, no worries!

Well my dentist gave me a check-up when I went for the consult. Luckily I didn't need any fillings or anything. So it was just the clean which he did on the day of the braces. :)

phanta

#5 Post by phanta »

Genie,
I had a check up and cleaning 4 days before getting braces.

My Braces Story at www.bracedblog.com

Ives

#6 Post by Ives »

I had a cleaning done about a week before having my braces on. It actually just worked out that way for me, my appt was made for cleaning long before my B-Day appt. Do you have a regular cleaning allready booked ?
Braced March 1st 07

becks

#7 Post by becks »

Funny Ives...same thing happened to me. I go every 6 mos. for cleanings and checkups and just happened to have a cleaning/check up scheduled 2 weeks before I got braced, long before I'd ever scheduled my bracing appointment. So Genie, I'd recommend getting a cleaning set up with your regular dentist about a month or so prior to your brace day. After braces are on I'd still suggest going to the dentist every 6 mos for cleaning/checkups unless your ortho recommends you go more frequently. Best of luck to you!
Braced ~ March 13, 2007

Delag

#8 Post by Delag »

Whenever you decide to go, make sure you tell your dentist when you are getting your brackets put on. My dentist asked me when my brace day was (one week later) and said he was going to skip the floride treatment because I was so close to my brace date. I don't know why....maybe the brackets don't stick as well, or teeth can stain....

Carolinahigh12

#9 Post by Carolinahigh12 »

My cleaning with my dentist is scheduled on April 19th. That was the earliest day that they could fit me in for the cleaning. I already had my consultation with the ortho and my appt with them for the molding and xrays is scheduled for May 2nd. My dentist will do my cleaning and fill in any cavities on the 19th. So I guess it all depends on what you dentist has available, but you would need to have a cleaning done before the ortho does his part. So I would call and make the earliest appt and then maybe you can get your ortho appt moved up if there arent any issues that come up during your teeth cleaning.
[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

~~~Nicole~~~

dallison

#10 Post by dallison »

Genie, I suppose the easiest way to answer your question, would be for you to call your ortho's office and talk to someone there.

I had my consultation two thursdays ago, my cleaning and check-up last Thursday, and I get my braces on next Thursday. Its all coincidence that I'm there on Thursdays each time.
When I made my appointment yesterday for getting my braces on, Krista (the girl at my ortho's office) kind of mumbled, "..and you already had your cleaning done...." so I took that as you should have a cleaning somewhere leading up to getting the braces on.

But again, I think the best thing for you to do is call the ortho's office, as they may have their own way of doing things.

Genie

#11 Post by Genie »

Thanks for the replies! :D

Hi Ives. I go to regular cleaning once every 6 months but I don't usually fix the next cleaning date on an appt so I have to call to book a date few weeks in advance.

Thanx for the advice about flouride treatment too! I'll let my dentist know.

I shall call my dentist and get an appt for cleaning and checking soon. My first day to the ortho (mold and x-ray, possibly extractions) is on 19th May so I probably will book appt a month before that. Then the ortho will also do cleaning on my brace day. (Better more than less...)

How does that sound?

-Michael-

#12 Post by -Michael- »

I hadn't been to the dentist in 8+ years! And I went to consult with Ortho and I told him this and he sort of looked at me with a funny quirk. I laughed and told him I'm just too busy.

So I set up an appointment and got my teeth cleaned and it went so well I was in and out there very quickly. They were amazed that I hadn't been in so long and yet I had no cavities and my gums were totally healthy. I know the real truth though....I'm damn lucky like that :D

But I had the appointment right before the ortho by about 10 days. They were super close together. Don't see what difference it would really make? But I did inquire about getting my teeth whitened and they said to not even worry until after I get my braces off. Weird.

-Michael-