what other people think...?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tommyfive

what other people think...?

#1 Post by tommyfive »

Folks,

I have been a little self-conscious lately, more so that just about me, as my wife and I are both wearing braces at the same time. It really just happened that way, we have different dentists who happened to recommend orthodontic treatment about the same time, and we're in a position to do it now, so we're both in braces.

I was worrying about what people thought in the first place, about me and mine, then on top of that I was worrying about what people thought about the both of us doing this at the same time.

I was starting to let it get to me until I had a couple of epiphanies in the last day or so:

1) I certainly think more about what others think than others really think about it. I'm just being self-conscious.

2) To put it in the words I heard Ze Frank use: it's none of my business what other people think.

#2 really put me in my place.

Unless someone says something to you, or unless you're willing to ask for an opinion, don't waste your time worrying about what other people think.

That's all there is to it!

hope this helps!
-tommy
top arch braced 3/21/07
new wire on top 4/19
bottom arch braced 4/19
buccal tube lost on 5/4, replaced on 5/5
new bottom wire on 6/26 (I think)
top & bottom chains (round 1) installed on 7/24 (ouch)

nahky
Location: Australia, , braced on 8 MAR '05 - Debraced: 28th FEB '07

#2 Post by nahky »

Couldn't agree anymore. I found point #1 very true when i was in braces, and
Unless someone says something to you, or unless you're willing to ask for an opinion, don't waste your time worrying about what other people think
is a very good piece of advice :D

Hoping smooth sailing for thr reat of your treatment TommyFive
Nahhs, Jaw Surgery 'n all<
Progress Pictures on Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 Debracing/Teeth Whitening Pictures on Pg 16

Lower JAW Surgery: May 2006 Debraced: March 2007

lz

#3 Post by lz »

very true i never looked at it that way :)

onedayperfect

#4 Post by onedayperfect »

I love wearing mine, seems perfectly normal too me now 8)

chicklets

#5 Post by chicklets »

Totally agree, Tommy. I've had my brackets for 6 days, and except for my closest friends/family who knew I was getting them, not a single person has mentioned them which leads me to believe that I think about them a whole lot more than others do. :)
Palate expander: 10/10/2006 through 03/27/2007
Spacers and brackets: 03/27/2007
Archwire: 04/05/2007
First adjustment: 06/05/2007