Strange bite? Only one side touches?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chevyhuny

Strange bite? Only one side touches?

#1 Post by chevyhuny »

I have been in my braces after a few months now and I can definitely see changes already. My teeth are getting straighter... however Ive noticed something that has frightened me a little. :shock:

My bottom teeth, the right side... seems to be taller then the left. When I bite, all of the teeth on the right side come into contact with my top teeth but most of the left doesnt. Even when I look in the mirror I see that my bottom teeth seem to be taller or up more then the right side.

Has anyone gone through a phase in their treatment where their bite is off? I know I have a long way to go and my teeth are going to move but this is a little scary to me and I wanted to know if anyone else had this happen.
Braced years ago, now I am braced again! Crossing fingers this time around.
Damon 3s on 6 of top front teeth. Damon 3MX on all the rest.

chevyhuny

#2 Post by chevyhuny »

Oh I should have mentioned that this is something that just seemed to pop up within the last few weeks. I have never had it before.

starryeyedfairy

#3 Post by starryeyedfairy »

chevy, this has happened to me as well in the beginning stages... so if i think you have the samething in which i had, you should be fine.

that just means next visit, they'll have to change some wires and such for more movement.

you should double check with your dentist as well, just to be safe.

Way Too Old For This

#4 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Happens to me all the time. When I get up in the morning I never know which teeth will be touching. Right now my right side is, and the left just barely come together. And its been over 18 months for me.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

kazan again

#5 Post by kazan again »

happens all the time to me too............sometimes its the teeth on one side catching so the teeth on the other side dont fit together, then it clears up, then the teeth shift some more and it happens again..........unless youve gone to Dr Mengler and he's pulling your teeth out by the roots I doubt its anything more than that. its good news...its progress!

(one year down, 4 months to go......)

Kazan

samantha_lou

#6 Post by samantha_lou »

I'm in the same position, one side can bite down but but the other side remains an open bite. I don't think its anything to worry about, unless your ortho starts talking debanding! If it concerns you though, just mention it to your ortho and he'll probably explain the big plan!

Lisa65

#7 Post by Lisa65 »

I have different teeth touching almost every day at the moment! At present I just have 2 teeth that touch on one side at the back. If I close my mouth "straight" the other side doesn't touch.
I think it's par for the course, but your ortho will be able to reassure you, i'm certain.

chevyhuny

#8 Post by chevyhuny »

You don't know how relieved I am. Thank you all for sharing your experiences with me! :heart: I honestly don't know what I would do if this board didn't exist. :crazy:

skyclad

only one side touches.

#9 Post by skyclad »

thats how my bite is pre-banding.
When you win, nothing hurts....Joe Namath

raninhas

#10 Post by raninhas »

Chevyhuny, I had that same fear when I first got my braces. Not too long ago, almost 2 months. And then these guys said what they've just said to you, and I was so relieved..
That's why I love coming here, and share my fears, thoughs, vents, 'cause they are the best!!
Thank you all! (getting a bit sniffy, eheh)

ProudMama1015

Re: Strange bite? Only one side touches?

#11 Post by ProudMama1015 »

When I close my mouth, I have a slight overbite, but when I put my teeth together, the right side, doesn't touch the lowers at all. from my very front tooth on the right, all the way back. Is this possibly something that will be fixed with rubber bands and adjusting some of the brackets?

FlyByNight

#12 Post by FlyByNight »

Post braces, my molars in the left are higher than the right. It's something that has bothered me but my ortho said it's my jaw. My bite is perfect though

djspeece

#13 Post by djspeece »

My bite was all over the place when I had braces. Out seemed I had to learn a new way to chew every month.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying