Teacher Saves Choking Boy - Food Caught in Ortho Appliance

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bbsadmin

Teacher Saves Choking Boy - Food Caught in Ortho Appliance

#1 Post by bbsadmin »

I came across this and thought you guys could appreciate the story. A 4th grade boy in a school in my area died several years ago because of choking. He had just gotten his braces and choked on a large piece of chicken in a burrito. It was very sad indeed. His grandmother tried to save him, but could not. Children with braces and ortho appliances must be reminded to take SMALL bites and to chew very carefully!

Chilhowie teacher saves choking student's life

Sunday, Mar 11, 2007 - 12:40 AM

CHILHOWIE – It was a routine lunch in the Chilhowie Elementary School cafeteria on Jan. 11.

Eight-year-old Carl Roy Jonkers enjoyed his pizza, taking big bites as was his custom. Without warning his enjoyment turned to fear.

He was choking on the pizza’s hard crust. It was lodged behind his orthodontic appliance, blocking his airway and immovable.

"I was scared, and sad," Carl said. "I thought I was going to get choked and die."

He could have without intervention.

Teacher Jennifer Testerman was sitting at the end of the table. A student across from Carl saw what was happening and called out for her.

"I jumped up and got to him," Testerman said. "He was turning blue, purple. I knew it was serious. I said ‘call the nurse,’" but she knew she could not wait for the nurse to arrive.

Testerman wrapped her arms around the fading boy, who was on his knees in the seat and his head dropping toward his tray. She performed the Heimlich maneuver, the abrupt, concentrated upward thrusts of a balled fist below the sternum.

Soon, the crust blew out of his throat, and Carl could breathe again.

His parents, Dr. Jennifer Jonkers-Jones and Aaron Jones, were on their honeymoon and learned of Carl’s ordeal when they returned. Although he could not finish his meal, he was OK.

On Thursday, the Chilhowie Town Council honored Testerman in a resolution that expressed appreciation to her "for her composure, quick thinking, and heroism in performing this selfless act to save the student’s life." The council also presented Testerman the Ultimate Warrior award.

After the presentation, Testerman said she was trained in cardio-pulmonary resuscitation, "but it expired."

"Apparently not!" Jones exclaimed.

He said Carl previously had a habit of taking too-large bites. "He could eat a rice cake all at once."

Carl said his experience changed the way he eats. He added that coming close to death had changed him, but after thinking for a bit, he was unable to find words to describe what was different.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

chlorine23

#2 Post by chlorine23 »

Oh boy, how many of us have been there?

Good lesson to us all!

Kat

#3 Post by Kat »

Happens to me a bunch, I try to eat things like spagetti and swallow half of it then there's real trouble, happened a few times. It's stupid but I just keep gulping.

phanta

#4 Post by phanta »

Just yesterday I nearly choked on spinach - twice! Got caught on my inner implant in the back. Spaghetti is also pretty bad. Just sits in the throat :roll:

While it's possible to eat just about anything with braces, some things are just more trouble than they're worth.

My Braces Story at www.bracedblog.com

Lisa65

#5 Post by Lisa65 »

I've had trouble with spaghetti too :oops: I cut it up small now instead of eating long strands.

fitchick

#6 Post by fitchick »

Yes I can relate to these stories, pasta, and a few weeks ago I got a piece of tomato skin wrapped around my TPA and dangling halfway down my throat! I try to be extra careful when eating out, I'd be so embarrassed trying to retrieve half my dinner in a packed restaurant!
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ives

#7 Post by Ives »

Wow, great reminder Lynn, thanks for the story. Just glad to here everything worked out for the little guy.

Sorry to here about the 4th grader you mentioned, my heart goes out to the grandmother who tried but could not save him. Must be a terrible memory to carry with you.

Also a good reminder that everyone should be CPR trained. Braces or not people can choke anytime or anyplace and if you are the only one around it will fall on you to try and help. Most communities offer some kind of class. My work place gives classes every couple of years or so, covers CPR and first on scene trauma care.

Thanks again for the story

Ives
Braced March 1st 07

KatK

#8 Post by KatK »

WAIT! I JUST posted about this!!! This happened to me about 40 minutes ago and i'm STILL trembeling and coughing!!!!! What a crazy coincidence.
~ Pendulum on December 1st
~ Damon lowers March 27
~ PENDULUM OFF MAY 22nd!
~ Palatal Bar installed May 22nd..
~ Damon clear uppers May 22 too!

bbsadmin

#9 Post by bbsadmin »

The boy who died in my area....it is so heartbreaking....on the family's car, there is a special licenseplate "We (heart symbol) U Ry." (The boy's name was Ryan). I don't personally know the family, but sometimes I see their car in traffic and it just makes me want to cry. I mean, he died because of choking on a chicken burrito. It's just so awful.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!