Steel archwire = ouch!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Epyx

Steel archwire = ouch!!!

#1 Post by Epyx »

Got what my ortho says could be my final wire - a solid steel archwire on my upper row. No give in it at all apparently, and boy do my teeth ache! Only a few teeth ached this morning, but now it's the whole lot. I couldn't even eat a Filet-o-Fish tonight :(

He also put some weird twisted wire thing around my brackets. It was like wire thread that he looped around each bracket, then twisted it together like a braid. This was in place of my powerchain, and he said it was to create "torque". Any idea what this device is?

Still on target to finish 6 months early, possibly even 7 months but I'm not going to believe that. I'm still psyched for December just in case.

starryadora

#2 Post by starryadora »

After removing your c-chain, they lace those same brackets in order to keep spaces from re-opening.

*~Currently retained in:
-Upper and Lower bonded retainers
-Upper QCM Hawley
-Damon Splint (night)
-Postitioner (as needed)

~*Orthodontic Assistant*~

starryadora

#3 Post by starryadora »

Actually, KK, c-chains would NOT be continued, as they are active.

*~Currently retained in:
-Upper and Lower bonded retainers
-Upper QCM Hawley
-Damon Splint (night)
-Postitioner (as needed)

~*Orthodontic Assistant*~

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

Yeah that makes sense, so starryadora - a power chain will "pull" for all the time it's in place, but once the gaps are closed, a laceback will hold things in place and stop gaps opening back up, but still allow the teeth to torque? Did I get that right?

Regarding the steel wire Epyx, I just got one of those on my lowers last Friday and I can sympathise with you there. It was pretty uncomfortable for a couple of days. I was on soup and yogurt one night.

Great news about being 6 or 7 months ahead. Let's hope this Christmas sees you naked :D

Epyx

#5 Post by Epyx »

Thanks guys, your discussion above has helped me to confirm the answer about these strange steel ligatures:
What are the important points that we should pay attention to during levelling and aligning? Please explain the significance of lace-backs in particular.

During the stage of levelling and aligning it is our belief that it is important to avoid excessive tipping of the teeth, which eventually leads to an overall extrusive effect on the dentition. Very critical teeth in this regard (especially with extraction cases) are the upper and lower cuspids. It has been our experience that the most effective way to move cuspids distally without excessive tipping is to use a simple figure eight ligature wire (which we call a lace-back) rather than an elastic chain (figure 2). The figure eight ligature wire initially tips the tooth very slightly. However, when the archwire is then placed there is a gentle continuous force over a four to six week period of time which allows the root to catch up and therefore re-upright the tooth. When an elastic chain is used the tipping force continues and there is inadequate time for the roots to catch-up. Hence the tipping tends to continue.

The powerchain tipped my front teeth in together, leaving a small triangular gap at the front. So I guess this is going to fix this.

I always used to wonder why the ortho hadn't put a stonking great wire in my mouth to force all the teeth into conformity. I think I understand why now ... apart from all other mechanical considerations, it is quite unpleasant! Oh well, one more day of mush hey? :)