Flashback: Boy pulled gun on ortho to de-band in 1985

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bbsadmin

Flashback: Boy pulled gun on ortho to de-band in 1985

#1 Post by bbsadmin »

A reader named Claire sent this article to me today, which was originally published in the New York Times in 1985. I thought you guys would find it interesting:

Boy Pulls Gun on Dentist To Get Braces Removed
Published: February 16, 1985

A 15-year-old boy who was determined to be rid of the braces on his teeth drew a gun on an orthodontist and told him he didn't care about going to jail, ''as long as I can have my bands off,'' the doctor said today.

The police eventually disarmed the boy after a struggle in which two shots were fired into the floor, said Jack Patterson, the Public Safety Director of Grosse Pointe Woods.

The orthodontist in a Detroit suburb, who was not the boy's regular dentist, said he stalled by removing a few of the bands and a wire that ringed the boy's teeth. He said he alerted members of his office staff, who called the police. The boy was not identified.

The orthodontist, who spoke on condition that his name not be used, said he first told the youth he would have to get his parents' permission. He said the boy then ''pulled out the .45 and he said, 'Would this make you take my bands off?' I said, 'Yeah, it would.' ''

When four officers arrived, the boy grappled with them. In the struggle his gun fired once, and a detective's gun fired when the boy grabbed it, Mr. Patterson said. Both shots hit the floor.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

starryadora

#2 Post by starryadora »

wow...that is unbelievable! Thank goodness no one was seriously hurt!

*~Currently retained in:
-Upper and Lower bonded retainers
-Upper QCM Hawley
-Damon Splint (night)
-Postitioner (as needed)

~*Orthodontic Assistant*~

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

Goodness! I guess he felt he'd had those braces on long enough :shock:

chillin-in-grilz

#4 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

Wow!!! Crazy stuff
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007

alexa

#5 Post by alexa »

Wow...and I thought -I- wanted my braces off badly! :shock:
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

becks

#6 Post by becks »

Oh sure Mery, point the finger at the rest of us :P

Wonder where that boy is today. That'd be an interesting where are they now.
Braced ~ March 13, 2007

adrienne

#7 Post by adrienne »

:shock: whoa .. were braces really that bad before?

alexa

#8 Post by alexa »

My g/f cut her archwire into pieces and broke some brackets off ... and presented them to her ortho. She felt this should be enough to get the message through to him, that she'd had enough. Ok ... as an adult she's damn annoyed with herself! :lol:
My boss took his braces off himself when he left home at 17. He did it with pliers. When I've complained about my braces over the last couple of years, he's offered to help me out... :shock: :lol:
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

Zondrae

#9 Post by Zondrae »

wow I know sometimes you FEEL like pulling a gun on your ortho...... :lol:

I wonder how the boys teeth look now? Pretty bad I'd bet.