causes or gum irratation around molar band?!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

prettybetty3

causes or gum irratation around molar band?!

#1 Post by prettybetty3 »

I have been in braces about 7 months now and everything has gone great! Little to no pain or any bracket problems...

...however, for the past week I have had this pain when I bite down on my left side and when I brush I noticed a significant amount of blood. Since the pain is coming from my molar band area, it is hard to see what is going on...however it seems my gum right about my molar band is a lil irritated, red and a lil puffy

I have no idea where this could have come from, does this have anything to do with the braces? I dont wanna go to the dentist right away bc i dont have insurance and Im sure he will jsut say it will go away in a few days but I dont know...

any comments?

becks

#2 Post by becks »

Hmm, sorry to hear you are hurting. As to what may have caused this, I think it could be a number of things. Maybe you flossed a little too aggressively and irritated the gumline there, could be developing a gingivitis, and the only other thing I can think of might be that the bracket "slipped" somehow and cut into your gum. Since you said its already been bothering you for about a week now, I would really suggest you put a call into your ortho. He should be able to tell if the problem is due to your appliances or if a trip to the dentist is needed. I know you said you don't really want to see a dentist since you have no insurance but hon, think of it this way. You've already or will be putting out alot of money for the braces, no since compromising or wasting that investment on not properly caring for your teeth.

Hope it clears up on its own but don't wait too much longer. Best of luck! Keep us posted.
Braced ~ March 13, 2007

Patricia S.

#3 Post by Patricia S. »

I had that happen with one of my bands when it came loose. Since i have been in bands longer than braces i don't know if you can tell with braces, but i could actually move the band. It was pushing into my gums and causing irritation and bleeding. My ortho just cemented it back on when i went for my braces. Maybe this has happened to you.

Patricia

Jembrace

#4 Post by Jembrace »

Definitely see a dentist! I had the same sort of trouble, it ended up being a gum infection. Had to clean it all out and such. You don't want to delay getting seen, infections can travel from the gums through the rest of your body. Good luck!

Jembrace
1st wire change June 2007

~No dream is ever lost if we never cease to try~
Moody Blues