What are those "salt rinses" about?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ABraces2007

What are those "salt rinses" about?

#1 Post by ABraces2007 »

Hello, everyone.
I saw you were continiously writing about salt rinses... and i don`t know if it`s just a different way of using mouth wash or someting, but i have never heard about those salt rinses. I use my mouth wash prescripted by my dentist 3 times a day and , of course, a special toothpaste.
Can anybody explain what are those salt rinses about and how often you use them. Do you use a special mouth wash also??

ABraces2007

#2 Post by ABraces2007 »

Thanks, Karen.
I think you gave me a good explanation of what it is. I didn`t even know it could help somehow. I have never had any sores ever in my gums, neither wearing braces, but anyway, if it helps to prevent any kind of sore, i`ll be glad to use at least one rinse a day. is it better night time or in the morning?

lz

#3 Post by lz »

I was wondering about this also. I am gonna start doing it. I already get cankers sooo bad. I have one right now where i bit my lip and it turned into one. I was scared about the braces making more (I go next Thursday to get mine). I am gonna start doing this!! Thanks for the info :)

ABraces2007

#4 Post by ABraces2007 »

hi lz.
You definitely should think something about it. Braces do cause cankers and stuff like that, cause they contact constantly with your lips and cheeks. So, first of all, ask your ortho to give you lots of wax boxes, and wax it every time you brush your teeth. After eating, remove wax, brush your teeth and put wax on them again.
As for salt rinses, people say they are effective. But i don`t think it can protect you from cankers as cankers appear because of the contact of braces. However they disappear very soon if you have good habits for higene. And what is good about having braces as an adult is that we are very conscience about our oral higene.

Betty Bat

#5 Post by Betty Bat »

ABraces2007,
I agree with most of what you said, but not everyone with braces gets canker sores. I've had braces for 18 months and I had only one bout with canker sores. That was when I tried a mouthwash with sodium lauryl sulfate and I seemed to be sensitive to that. Not everyone has that reaction to SLS, just like not everyone with braces get canker sores. (Are those enough disclaimers?) And, I don't rinse with salt water, not because I have something against salt water, but because I haven't needed it. And, I haven't used wax in a long, long time, either!

Naranja

#6 Post by Naranja »

i've been top-braced since March 8
and i didn't have much pain, i'm not used to use painkillers :D
i haven't done warm salt rinses... but i guess i'll start with those, it seems the're pretty good

i was wandering about it a long time, thx for the post

lz

#7 Post by lz »

Interesting :) I just hope I am one of the ones who DON'T get the cankers I sooo hate them!!!
:D

josephine

#8 Post by josephine »

I believe one of the reasons salt is so helpful is that it is alkaline, and so neutralizes some of the acids in your mouth that can add to irritation. In any case, it works. I love that and I love wax, also a nice low tech problem solver!