Speech Problems

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lex24

Speech Problems

#1 Post by Lex24 »

Hi there

I've booked in to have a brace put on my bottom teeth after much dithering about it. But there is one aspect that is really bothering me and that's how it is going to affect my speech.

This is a massive thing for me becasue I'm a radio newsreader so I have to be able to speak clearly and annunciate my words well.

I do really want to get my teeth done but I'm quite worried about it!

Has anyone got any advice or am I worrying about nothing?

thanks

timsmith

#2 Post by timsmith »

Hi Lex,

I am now into my 3rd week, I think that I sound a little different but people that know me say not, or that they got used to any difference in a minute or so. I went to a conference last week and gave a 30 minute presentation, that was about 12 days from being braced, no issues. I am managing to forget about them more and more each day, I would say, no worries.

Tim

Clarity ceramic uppers, In Ovation metal lowers, 18 by 25 archwires and powerchain on top front 4

phanta

#3 Post by phanta »

My speech has changed, but subtly. Some days are better than others, but people say to they don't notice the change. Unless I start talking really fast, then I lisp and "swallow" consonants.

English is not my first language though, and I've had bad and good "English" days pre-braces too :) so I may be a poor indicator for this.

My Braces Story at www.bracedblog.com

bracesafter40

#4 Post by bracesafter40 »

I only have top braces and do have a lisp; just slightly though. Some people hear it, but others says they don't but I think they are being polite. I totally hear it.
http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com
Bridge Sectioned: Feb. 14, 2007
Last Pre-braces cleaning: Feb. 20, 2007
#21 Extraction: Feb. 20, 2007
Sentenced: 32 months
Top Braced: Feb 28, 2007
Bottom Braced: Apr. 4, 2007
New Ortho on Apr. 25, 2008
May 6; fluorescent blue ligs incl. upper powerchains. 2 elastics; Sept. 2, 2008.
Next Adj.: July 7, 2009 at 8:30a

fitchick

#5 Post by fitchick »

Hi Lex24

Congratulations on finally deciding to get braces.

My brace hasn't affected my speech at all, its the TPA appliance and bite plate that made pronouncing certain letters more difficult (especially when tired). Talking slower helped though. I was concerned about how I sounded and mentioned it to my ortho and he told me to record myself talking and then listen to the playback. The subtle difference was only obvious to me hearing my speech from my head. Listening to the playback and to anyone else it wasnt any different. I only had one comment from a work colleague who said I sounded cute....... and I can deal with cute!! No-one else ever mentioned it and I adjusted within a couple of weeks. Good luck with your treatment, if you are anything like me then you'll think its one of the best decisions ever made.

Fitchick
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nervous

#6 Post by Nervous »

Braces have never affected my speech. I was actually relieved when I had my braces put on because I had to where this appliance in my mouth for a year that really affected my speech. I had to wear the thing while I was taking Latin! It was bad at the time but it's funny now, looking back. :)

Lex24

#7 Post by Lex24 »

Thanks, feel quite reassured.

I have to concentrete on speaking slowly for bulletins anyway so it might even be good for me!

Ives

#8 Post by Ives »

Hey Lex,

My job requires me to talk alot on a handi talki radio. A few hundred people all here me talking when i'm on. I thought I was lisping alot but not one person has said they've noticed it. Believe me with the guys I work with, if I was lisping they would tell me about it. The only problem ive noticed is if I talk alot without a break I tend to build up alot of saliva and start getting the sylvester the cat syndrome. I have to remember to give myself a quick pause now and then to clear my mouth. I teach safety classes on equipment every now and then and that has been the only real problem.

Good Luck

Ives
Braced March 1st 07

tommyfive

#9 Post by tommyfive »

i think i have noticed a difference in my own speech, just some 'looser' s and f sounds more than anything else, but it's really not noticeable I am told.

thing i found was this: if you do a lot of talking make sure to keep wax handy! those back brackets can do a number on the inside of your mouth!

t
-tommy
top arch braced 3/21/07
new wire on top 4/19
bottom arch braced 4/19
buccal tube lost on 5/4, replaced on 5/5
new bottom wire on 6/26 (I think)
top & bottom chains (round 1) installed on 7/24 (ouch)

dallison

#10 Post by dallison »

This is something I was worried about too!!!

I work in Administration and am also the Receptionist. I am on the phone all day with people and paging other people throughout the building. I was worried about how "Parts, Lines Six and Seven. Parts, Lines Six and Seven" was going to come out. :lol: