Problems with Choking: advice needed please!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KatK

Problems with Choking: advice needed please!

#1 Post by KatK »

Hi All,

I have wires that hang down from a pendulum appliance. My ortho just recently braced the bottom of my teeth, so now I have that also. My ortho says i have 6mm worth of space (the amount i need) but wants to give the pendulum 2 more months in order to go past what I need to help stop relapse once it comes off.

My problem is that with my two molars back are so far and with the wide space, I'm having a hard time chewing!! Not only that but since I chew further back now food keeps getting tripped up in my wires and then it dislodges again and goes straight down my throat - causing me to choke because I haven't finished chewing! I'm still shaking from the worst incident that just happened about 10 minutes ago - soft chicken got caught and went straight down and i couldn't breath!!!!! I feel like I can't deal with this for 2 more months... maybe I should just stick to soft foods? But for 2 months? Won't this weaken things? Any ideas from anyone has had any kinds of problems like this??

Thanks..
~ Pendulum on December 1st
~ Damon lowers March 27
~ PENDULUM OFF MAY 22nd!
~ Palatal Bar installed May 22nd..
~ Damon clear uppers May 22 too!

KatK

#2 Post by KatK »

OK, I feel very silly because a very similiar thread was JUST posted about this with an article about a little boy this happened to. So sorry for the repeat. Still does anyone have any advice?? I can't eat ANYTHING without almost choking these days!
~ Pendulum on December 1st
~ Damon lowers March 27
~ PENDULUM OFF MAY 22nd!
~ Palatal Bar installed May 22nd..
~ Damon clear uppers May 22 too!

spacersarentfun

I hear you

#3 Post by spacersarentfun »

I feel your pain!! I have only had my braces for 6 days and I keep thinking how can I live the next two years with this TPA device in my mouth. I eat slow and still can't seem to get the eating thing down. I keep thinking please god don't let me choke. I hope it gets better.... :wink:

spacersarentfun

I hear you

#4 Post by spacersarentfun »

I feel your pain!! I have only had my braces for 6 days and I keep thinking how can I live the next two years with this TPA device in my mouth. I eat slow and still can't seem to get the eating thing down. I keep thinking please god don't let me choke. I hope it gets better.... :wink: