pre-ortho dental work

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

becks

#31 Post by becks »

That's not too far off at all! Congrats...your bday will get here before you know it :)

skyclad

Thanks and clarification of previous post

#32 Post by skyclad »

Becks,
Thanks, it seems like bday will be here sooner than anyone thinks. My mom has no clue and I live with her. Wonder how long it will take her to notice them?

Also scheduled a cleaning for lunch time tomorrow.

The ortho suggested I get as many fillings as I can get away with during root canal appt.

skyclad

Today

#33 Post by skyclad »

I got my teeth cleaned today and they feel so different. The dentist poked my cheek with something now that hurts. Probably what it feels like to have a wire poking.

He used a vibrating pick looking thing that hurt like heck when he put it on the back of my bottom teeth. They are really sensitive to temp and pressure so that felt weird.

They also told me it would take 20 min to clean my teeth. Try an hour.

And then she polised my teeth with some cherry flavored sand stuff. Yum. Not.

Do any of your orthos have scented gloves? My ortho has grape scented gloves. My dentist on the other hand has yucky smelling and tasting gloves.

skyclad

getting nervous

#34 Post by skyclad »

My first root canal therapy appt is monday afternoon and I am getting nervous. More so I think because it is one of my front teeth. (tooth 9). No dentist has wanted to touch it and now everyone is root canal happy. I know that's probably the thing to do since 3 orthos have mentioned it plus 2 dentists.

I also have one more teeny little thing to conquer...i have an ice chewing habit that would put some smokers to shame. I know it's bad, I try to quit but it's really hard. It hurts my teeth but yet I can't stop. I can tell you who has the best ice, softest, easiest to chew....it has been suggested that I take vitamins, iron, and some other ideas have been presented but I don't remember what they are.

lemonlyme

#35 Post by lemonlyme »

I have the same proble with ice chewing, its really an addiction i have, and i have issues stopping, once i have a cup of ice i will chew the whole cup full...I actually buy bags of ice and can chew the whole bag in a weekend..its the soft best ice.. Yikes! I have iron issues..I'm supposed to take iron pills but dont :/

skyclad

Thank you

#36 Post by skyclad »

Karen,
I knew about the iron deficiency thing, but the ocd thing threw me for a minute, I thought about it some more and it totally makes sense. The more I think about it the more I believe the ice chewing is a mix of of the physical, emotional and behavioral. Wow. I will try to get into a doctor.

Thank you everyone who wished me luck or is crossing their fingers for my root canal.

skyclad

root canal on #9

#37 Post by skyclad »

wasnt all that fun. I am home, I am super tired and sooooo thirsty...
Novacaine wore off so he had to add more, had 2 more xrays.

Appts on monday and fri to fill cavities.

becks

#38 Post by becks »

At least that part is now over with skyclad. I've had to have more novacaine during treatment before too. Never hesitate to speak up on that issue. As much as it sometimes seems not to be true, they (dentists) really don't want us in pain during procedures. Hope you are feeling better this a.m. One step closer !! :)
Braced ~ March 13, 2007

skyclad

thanks

#39 Post by skyclad »

it's really odd but my nose hurts. and obviously the part right behind my front teeth, but doesnt hurt unless i press on it with my tongue.

kind of glad I dont have an appt fri, but have toyed with calling to schedule one just to get some more work out of the way.

A girl at work got her braces off after 26 months and I honestly think she could have them on for a bit longer. I guess I think they could be a bit straighter. Of course I didn't tell her that. what do i know?

skyclad

weird bite

#40 Post by skyclad »

ever since i i got the filling on the root canal, there is a large chunk on the back of my tooth and it is totally changing my bite. It used to be closed on the right and a little open on the left, now it is opening more on both sides because i can no longer bite down all the way. yikes.

mary88

#41 Post by mary88 »

Skyclad, Your situation sounds very familiar to mine. I had before being braced a cleaning,x-rays,2 extractions and 13 fillings all in 3 weeks. I then had to put down $2100 and I now pay $220 a month for 14 months.

As you can see you are not alone in your journey. Keep your head up and take it one day at a time, you will get there and you will be so proud of yourself when you so. Mary88

skyclad

wow

#42 Post by skyclad »

2100 down, 220 a month for 14 months, are your braces made from diamonds?

mary88

#43 Post by mary88 »

I know people paying more than I am. Welcome to Rhode Island the most expensive, corrupt state in the union.

skyclad

Cant believe I didn't update after root canal

#44 Post by skyclad »

I survived the root canal.

on to the fillings. 2 down and 12 to go. Friday we work on upper right and then the right side will be done. Will be getting 3 fillings and 1 extraction on fri.

Today...new assistant needs to be waaaay more gentle with mr thirsty. First she got my lip then she stuck it down my throat and gagged me and then hit some of my teeth with it a few times. Yikes. Slow down there tiger.
Dr got my lip with pokey thing a few times. My poor bottom lip. Also I think novacaine is making my lips super dry.

Oh and banding put off til april 19.

Owwww. the novacaine wore off. Time for drugs that I left at work from the root canal.

Also saw smoke from drill....note to self, keep eyes closed.
When you win, nothing hurts....Joe Namath

skyclad

well

#45 Post by skyclad »

Thank you. Are you kidding about the smoke from the drill? I can explain it kind of like this...
when one cuts tile, one needs to use a wet saw because the heat from the saw on the ceramic will either break it or cause a fire. When put back into dental perspective, YIKES!!! lol.
When you win, nothing hurts....Joe Namath