tongue thrust

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nicole1987

tongue thrust

#1 Post by nicole1987 »

I have made my appointment to get my braces at the end of may, but I was wondering what I could do about my tongue thrust.

During the day, I have been working really hard to keep my tongue away from my teeth and in the correct position. But, when I sleep my tongue is pushing up against my teeth moving them farther out, creating an open bite. I am trying the tongue excersises and they seem to work during the day, but I don't know what to do when I am sleeping.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Chris

#2 Post by Chris »

I don't know if this helps, but wearing upper and lower hawleys will help after you get debanded. The acrylic on the palates help you rest your tongue. Did for me.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

nicole1987

#3 Post by nicole1987 »

thanks, I was just wondering what I was getting myself into...
I'm glad that it worked out good! :D