Braces on Tuesday! Honest answers please!!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tamiel34

Braces on Tuesday! Honest answers please!!!!

#1 Post by Tamiel34 »

Okay Guy's:
My appointment is for Tuesday, April 10. I'm really freaked out about all that metal in my mouth. :shock: Honestly, how bad is it going to be to put these braces on? I know I'm going to have bands around my molars, not sure yet if I'm going to need spacers or not. And by the way, if I do need spacers will he still put the rest of the brackets and such on first and have me come back for the bands? :?:

iBorg

#2 Post by iBorg »

No real pain except your nerves. If spacers are required he may put the other brackets on or have you come back after spacers and do it all at once. The wait is the most difficult part. As for the feeling of all that metal, start salt water rinses now and continue. It will help your mouth when the appliances are fitted.

Good luck,

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Tasha0313

#3 Post by Tasha0313 »

Tamiel

What is your appointment on the 10th for, is it just for records?

From my experience, and this was back in 2003. I went in for my records, they did x-rays and basically told me the "plan of attack." Two weeks later, I got my spacers. I got metal spacers and for the first day or two they were a pain, but after that I was okay. I wore them for a week.

That next week, I got my braces on and honestly it wasn't bad at all! I had to get used to all of the metal being in my mouth, but it was easy.

Some people don't need spacers, others do. If you don't need them, they might put the molar bands on and also put brackets and wires on your teeth, it all depends on the person.

lea72104

#4 Post by lea72104 »

I had my brackets put on and spacers on the same day. *my ortho didn't want my mouth to be open too long bc of my jaw pain*....I went back a week later, had the spacers taken out and the bands put on. My band on my upper right 6 (my second to last molar and i have no wisdom teeth) hurt pretty bad. that area was reeeally sore from the spacers. I had a hard time eating with them. I know that there have been a bunch of mixed reviews as far as pain with spacers go...But i have been fully braced for a weekish and i'm pretty well up to eat just about anything now. It's not that bad! I promise! I agree with iBorg, the wait was and is the worst part.

Tamiel34

#5 Post by Tamiel34 »

This visit is to put the braces on. I had my x-rays, pics, and visit with the ortho last week. Thanks for all the responses! :D They help alot!

lz

#6 Post by lz »

Good thread I'm in the same boat for next Thursday.
I am worried about how shocked I'll be and not being able to eat :P
Ok ignorant question here......do they numb you at all I know probably not but I had to ask cuz I'm just like that haha

becks

#7 Post by becks »

I was not numbed. It really isn't necessary. You may feel some discomfort when the bands go on, if you get bands. But it is not pain, just pressure and uncomfortable. At least that was my experience with it.
Braced ~ March 13, 2007

Nervous

#8 Post by Nervous »

I would recommend taking a tylenol for the pain you'll get after getting the braces on. I took one on my first day in them and it helped alot :)

idolfan4

#9 Post by idolfan4 »

Okay, first of all, there is no reason to freak out, because getting braces is totally painless. It's the after effect that hit you the most. If you experience pain after you get your braces put on, take some tylonol or advil. If possible, you can apply some ice packs to your cheeks as well. And stick to soft foods only for the first week or two. I kind of messed myself up on that when I first got braces. Just hang in there and good luck with getting your new braces.

Braces Went On: August 2nd, 2005
Braces Come Off: April 19th, 2007

mbarbi

#10 Post by mbarbi »

the spacers are bearable...the molar bands hurt...the braces are a breeze...just eat soft foods the first weeks...im on my second week and still can't bite using my front teeth...

ate banana split with nuts a while ago and the nuts stuck to my molars :lol:

i'm still on a soft food diet (fish, cake and ice cream) :D

Ives

#11 Post by Ives »

Having my bands put on was painfull ( those suckers just would not cooperate ). But the pain only lasted for a few minutes after he was done. Other than that the first couple of weeks were pretty sore. Kept hitting my fronts together, ouch. 5 weeks into braces now and i'm starting to get used to them. I'm back to eating my every friday double cheeseburgers.

Do not let the possibility of a little discomfort or even pain change your mind, it lasts a very short time and is so worth it.

Ives
Braced March 1st 07

SnowSara

#12 Post by SnowSara »

The first day is really no big deal, you'll see it's easier than you thought! I didn't have spacers or molar bands, so I went right into full metal ;)
Maybe go to the grocery store before hand so you have some nice soft food around, the first day won't hurt that much but you won't really know how to eat, might as well make it easy on yourself. Some soup, yogurt, bananas, and well-cooked pasta are good. I got my braces on early in the morning and my teeth started to ache around late afternoon, but my lips/cheeks didn't bother me until a few days in.

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

metalchic

great topic

#13 Post by metalchic »

This is such a great topic!!

I am getting a baby tooth extracted tomorrow (4/11/07) YIKES.

I am also getting 2 spacers in the back of my mouth tomorrow before my extraction - double Yikes.

Then on 4/19/07 I get BRACED.

I am more nervous about the extraction/spacers at this point. Nervous about the extraction for now because it will leave a tiny space, it will probably not be seen because of its location and the tooth is so small.

Next, I'm nervous about the braces because I'm afraid of what I am going to look like afterwards and what I can and can't eat and how long it is going to take me to get ready for work. It already takes me a lifetime to get ready, I don't need anything else delaying me.

I'm in panic mode..........help :shock:

metalchic

great topic

#14 Post by metalchic »

This is such a great topic!!

I am getting a baby tooth extracted tomorrow (4/11/07) YIKES.

I am also getting 2 spacers in the back of my mouth tomorrow before my extraction - double Yikes.

Then on 4/19/07 I get BRACED.

I am more nervous about the extraction/spacers at this point. Nervous about the extraction for now because it will leave a tiny space, it will probably not be seen because of its location and the tooth is so small.

Next, I'm nervous about the braces because I'm afraid of what I am going to look like afterwards and what I can and can't eat and how long it is going to take me to get ready for work. It already takes me a lifetime to get ready, I don't need anything else delaying me.

I'm in panic mode..........help :shock:

ema27

#15 Post by ema27 »

BRACES ARENT PAINFUL AT ALL-IN MY EXPERIENCE..Once you get use to your new look then thats half the battle done!!!i know some have experienced pain ,some minor some intense but i can give you some hope!!!!!!all the best