question about seeing changes

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sutsee

question about seeing changes

#1 Post by Sutsee »

Ok I know everyone is different and but I was wondering how long it was until you noticed a difference in your teeth. One month two? six? I am just feel like I am watching paint dry....and it's kind of discouraging.

florencegal

#2 Post by florencegal »

Please don't be disheartened - your time will come and it will be all the better for having waited a bit! I started seeing movement pretty much from week 1 but as I understand this is often the case with extraction cases as the teeth rush in to take advantage of the new extra space. They've slowed down a lot since my first adjustment at 10 weeks.

Your teeth will move when they need to, don't rush it. I'm sure one day pretty soon you will take a look in the mirror and Hey Presto! there's the change and it will make you smile like you never have before. Be patient and look after yourself :)

x

SinOnYourLips

#3 Post by SinOnYourLips »

Sutsee, I was JUST about to post the same thread last week and complain that I am getting completely discouraged. Ever since I got my braces (march 16th) every single day I wake up and examine my teeth in the mirror looking for change.........and guess what? I see nothing!

But its now been almost 2 weeks, and for the first time yesterday, I FELT change. I would try to close my mouth and realize its slightly uncomfortable. I then realized that the tooth with which i have a major problem and which started to hurt a little a few days before that, does not go into it's regular spot, instead it lands slightly on top of the other tooth.

AHA!

Ye, now I'm complaining because it feels weird when I chew, but what the hell the shifting had finally began.

I am more than sure yours will be coming next...and very soon.
Like most people said, especially when you look at your teeth vevery day, it will be hard to notice the movement, but just pay attention to how it feels when you bite and floss and you will no.

So lets have faith together and it shall happen! :wink:

Danielle

#4 Post by Danielle »

Early on flossing is where I noticed the first changes. After about a week or so, it started getting easier to floss in certain spots. Once the flossing was manageable (though time consuming) I started noticing the rest of my teeth slowly start to line up... give it time.
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present

MsTiaLia

#5 Post by MsTiaLia »

Take pictures! One thing I've noticed is that looking in the mirror doesn't really allow you to see the changes. After a while, your teeth become relatively straight and you start to feel like they've ALWAYS been that way! Yesterday I looked at pictures I took the days after I was braced and there has been A LOT of change, but I can't ever tell by looking in the mirror!

platinum

#6 Post by platinum »

I saw a lot of chenges in the first month. Lately i havent seen anything and my teeth are not sore...

mbarbi

#7 Post by mbarbi »

i'm on my second week and i haven't seen any changes yet :(

phanta

#8 Post by phanta »

I second the "take pictures" advice. I look in the mirror at my teeth so often, that I don't notice changes anymore. Pictures help a lot.

To answer your original question, I had significant movement in the first 5 days.

My Braces Story at www.bracedblog.com

lea72104

#9 Post by lea72104 »

I have been braced for 8 days and have seen a little movement. I have a tooth that used to go behind my bottoms and is now resting on top of them....or they would if the bite plate weren't there! My boyfriend pointed it out today without me asking him! I also took before pics and have compared them and see just a little bit of movement. Don't worry, it will come!

becks

#10 Post by becks »

I will have been braced a month on the 13th. I don't notice visible changes but it is easier to floss between my molars and I can FEEL my teeth becoming "squishy" and loose so I know they are moving around or at least preparing to move. I'm impatient to though Sutsee. I asked my 7 year old today if my teeth looked any different. His blunt, honest child answer was, "No not at all." :lol:
Braced ~ March 13, 2007

SnowSara

#11 Post by SnowSara »

2 months in, and I see where my teeth have moved, and so does my boyfriend. But I doubt any one else would be able to tell without side-by-side comparison photos. What I notice the most is how my teeth have lined up in a nicely shaped arch, which is hard to see, but I can feel.

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

nickym

#12 Post by nickym »

I've had my braces on for 5 weeks and I've just started to see a significant change in the last week. Suddenly things have started to change, I spent the first month staring at my teeth and not seeing anything. Taking photos is a really good idea, looking back now I can really see the difference and it makes it all feel worthwhile. I'm sure you'll see changes soon, and once it starts it happens very quickly. Good luck :D

dena

#13 Post by dena »

MsTiaLia's suggestion is a good one--I meant to take a photo of my teeth every month to document the changes but I totally stopped doing that a long time ago.

I saw a huge change in my first month, but almost no one says that. I had four teeth removed so my teeth were able to move a lot in that first month. But honestly, for the next 7 or 8 months it seemed like nothing happened. It's really weird how it seems to speed and slow. For instance, I've spent the last 3 months closing the gaps from the removed teeth. It seemed like nothing happened and then suddenly in March, the gaps just closed up really fast. Oddly enough, 3 of the gaps are almost entirely closed and the 4th one is still almost as big as it was when the tooth was removed. It's totally random.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

WiredforSound

#14 Post by WiredforSound »

I have had my braces on for almost 3 weeks now and cannot see any visible changes, yet can floss my teeth easily (for the first time in my life). Plus my bite has changed so I when I bite down, different teeth meet than before, so I know some movement must be happening. :D

Take pictures and be patient. Won't be long before we see some changes in our mouths!!
[/url]

dena

#15 Post by dena »

WiredforSound---that is often the only way I know my teeth are moving because my bite changes all the time. It's useful, but a little weird!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months