Would you were a headgear in public?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

platinum

Would you were a headgear in public?

#1 Post by platinum »

Some people in in this forum have a headgear and I really wonder how brave they are.

But, could you go to public with a headgear?

I could not. I would quit my treatment if I was to told to wear headgear 24/7. I would be soooo self consious. I have problems with my lower metal braces.

bracesafter40

Re: Would you were a headgear in public?

#2 Post by bracesafter40 »

platinum wrote:Some people in in this forum have a headgear and I really wonder how brave they are.

But, could you go to public with a headgear?

I could not. I would quit my treatment if I was to told to wear headgear 24/7. I would be soooo self consious. I have problems with my lower metal braces.
Platinum, Yes I would if it would help my treatment. Who cares what other people say? It is my life and I'm just trying to correct it right? if your doctor put a cast on your arm or leg if it was broken you would have to wear it right? So why should a headgear be any different?
http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com
Bridge Sectioned: Feb. 14, 2007
Last Pre-braces cleaning: Feb. 20, 2007
#21 Extraction: Feb. 20, 2007
Sentenced: 32 months
Top Braced: Feb 28, 2007
Bottom Braced: Apr. 4, 2007
New Ortho on Apr. 25, 2008
May 6; fluorescent blue ligs incl. upper powerchains. 2 elastics; Sept. 2, 2008.
Next Adj.: July 7, 2009 at 8:30a

becks

#3 Post by becks »

I'm sure I'd be self-concious about it but I'd do it if I was told I had to wear it 24/7.
Braced ~ March 13, 2007

phanta

#4 Post by phanta »

I couldn't do it! If that was the only option, I wouldn't get the treatment at all.

If there was a choice - surgery or headgear, I'd choose surgery.

My Braces Story at www.bracedblog.com

Lisa65

#5 Post by Lisa65 »

I'd be self conscious, but I think I could do it. Some people would stare, sure, but most of them would probably be feeling sympathy rather than derision.
People with severe facial disfigurements, missing limbs or cerebral palsy have no choice but to go out in public and endure the stares and comments of others.
A few months of headgear would seem like a small thing in comparison to that.

HeadgearJoe

#6 Post by HeadgearJoe »

YEP , I HAVE, an still do an people ask if i'm not wearing it , however i've never wore it in church , it's not dressy enough, but goes back on shortly after if need to , ALL ABOARD(+=+=+HEADGEARJOE+=+=+)
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

Graceful58

#7 Post by Graceful58 »

I personally would not because I would feel self conscience as well. I already feel self conscience with the colorful spacers they put in my mouth on Thursday. I didn't realize they put colored ones in until I went to look in my reveiw mirror and saw blue and green. yuck! I would have much preferred clear or white like I had as a young adult...
Lower Jaw Advancement & Mentoplasty- Dec 31st...Happy New Year!!!

http://bracefacemom.blogspot.com/

Blessings,
Graceful

Betty Bat

#8 Post by Betty Bat »

Given that there are many members on this site who do wear headgear, let's not be too negative on this subject. Everyone does what they feel they need to do, so why should the rest of us talk about it, just as speculation?

Nervous

#9 Post by Nervous »

I wouldn't want to do wear headgear. However, if the ortho told me I had to, I would do it but I'd hate her for it ! :x

fitchick

#10 Post by fitchick »

If it meant that it would give me the straight teeth and smile that I wanted then Yes of course. I didn't think I'd ever go out the front door in braces which is partly what delayed my decision to get them in the first place. But its like anything, you are out of your comfort zone the first time you do anything differently and after that you just don't think about it. That was silly of me to think that, no-one takes any notice and I don't know why I ever thought they would. If I saw someone out wearing headgear then I would think that person was doing something very positive for themselves.
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Graceful58

#11 Post by Graceful58 »

Betty,

I think the question was..."Would you wear headgear in public", so all we're doing is sharing what the question is asking...true and honest answers really. If the poster didn't want honest answers then I don't think they would have posted the question. :)
Lower Jaw Advancement & Mentoplasty- Dec 31st...Happy New Year!!!

http://bracefacemom.blogspot.com/

Blessings,
Graceful

HeadgearJoe

#12 Post by HeadgearJoe »

you know the best part of wearing my headgear in public , was the incident with the atm machine, i posted this over a year ago , i went to my atm machine to get some cash after hours, i pulled up to the atm machine it read my card ask for my pin , next i keyed in the pin an it ask what i wanted to do , then in a second the light dimmed , an the machine screen went blank , it ate my card , so no cash that night , the next morning i called the bank told them what happened , i told them i must have scared there machine because i had more metal in my mouth an face than it did , so it got scared an shut down , the woman at the back said come down an they would give my card back an then LAUGHED, when i went down she was laughing agian , see how much fun HEADGEAR can be , an agian not everyone can or would wear headgear in public nor would i expect them to , but i'm kool with it , have a great evening everyone , HEADGEARJOE
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

prettybetty3

#13 Post by prettybetty3 »

My Ortho said that using headgear is old-fashioned and not used anymore with orthodontics due to the increase in advances in treatment. I dont know...

HeadgearJoe

#14 Post by HeadgearJoe »

yea trav an a few others have to deal with headgear also ,yes it can be a royal pain , but if your roots are very long like mine nothing worked as well as the headgear

sportsgrl97

#15 Post by sportsgrl97 »

as much as orthodontics has been accepted in the public eye.... i dont think i could get the courage to wear headgear out in public.. id wear anything though that was only in the mouth.