First Adjustment + Elastics! = :(

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

CanehdianGal

First Adjustment + Elastics! = :(

#1 Post by CanehdianGal »

Hi everyone...Well today after 10 weeks I went in for my first adjustment..OMG!!!!! I have never been in so much discomfort..I'm still getting used to the braces and the whole look of it, when he tells me it's time for Elastics!..But not on the sides , he put them on dead center my 2 top front, attatched to the 2 bottom front. I look awful :( And cannot even yawn properly. I need to wear them 24 hrs a day for couple of months. I'm so self conscious with the braces u can't imagine how I feel now with the added elastics in the front.

Sorry for the vent...Now how does one get used to this?

chillin-in-grilz

#2 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

That must really suck!
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007

skibunnie29

#3 Post by skibunnie29 »

I'm with mery sending positive vibes your way. :)

LadyTr0uble

#4 Post by LadyTr0uble »

Oh, you poor thing! Yeah, elastics aren't fun those first couple of days. Like the braces, your mouth does get used to them. My elastics rubbed my cheeks raw the first week or so, just like the braces did. But the discomfort goes away with time. The advice I had found on this forum (rinse with warm salt water) helps a lot. Good luck!!!

ladylee

#5 Post by ladylee »

Oh my, I feel for you. Like Karen says, don't forget the saltwater rinses. It will feel better soon. :banana:

CanehdianGal

#6 Post by CanehdianGal »

Thanx for the support everyone.

I'll tell you one thing , I am never going to complain how the braces look after having these elastics in the front.

I do have a question , are the little hooks that the elastic wraps around supposed to be a little lose? And what to the eleastics actually do? Pull my teeth down to get a correct overbite?

CanehdianGal

#7 Post by CanehdianGal »

"Do you have a bit of an open bite at the front? "

Meaning my teeth don't come together in the front, yes.

One other thing..Before my first adjustment my back teeth were starting to touch on my left. I was happy to see improvement..Not more than 1 hr after the adjustment and now 2 days after none of my teeth have contact anymore. Is it because the teeth/gums/ are swollen because of the new wires/tightening/pressure. It's like it just lifted up.

CanehdianGal

#8 Post by CanehdianGal »

Thankyou Mery.

ok I'm looking in the mirror now and I have 1 tooth on each side touching in the back..That's it..And about 2 hrs ago I think I felt a lose tooth..When I bite on my back tooth it's feels " squishy"..That's the only way I can describe it. I should mention on my first adjustment Monday I had wires put on my last back teeth on both sides..Initially the wires/ brackets stop infront of those teeth. Maybe that's why I feel tooth movement or the squishys.