TPA tongue sore

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chlorine23

TPA tongue sore

#1 Post by chlorine23 »

My mouth has been adjusting surprisingly well to my TPA. Yes my tongue has been raw, but nothing serious. I do salt rinses and peroxide rinses, although not as often as I should. But for a week or two now, I've had one little sore on the middle of my tongue. I think it's right where the central portion of the TPA sits when my tongue is relaxed. But it's not an open sore like a canker sore. It's like a big painful zit. And now it's turning whiter than the rest of my tongue, although not completely white yet. I've been taking care of it and brushing my tongue and everything, but it's getting worse instead of better. Anyone ever have this kind of sore on their tongue? How long until it goes away?

I've considered putting wax on the center part of the TPA, but being as my tongue moves against it so strongly, I just assume it would get pushed off instantly, and I just hesitate to put it back there where it can get choked on. I know, I'm probably being paranoid, but the last thing I need is a wax emergency. Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

maia1orual

#2 Post by maia1orual »

hey! i have an expander in, and i have a sore exactly like the one your described! well, actually, mine's gone down quite a bit in the last week but i really haven't done anything differently. . .so i guess this isn't all that helpful! haha but, at least i can sympathize with you =) hope it gets better!

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

I had something like that on my tongue too. It was where my palatal implant screw was tied onto my TPA, and so there was quite a rough piece of twisted wire, which my tongue rested against in its normal position. It came up as like a hard lump on my tongue which felt quite sore, but it went away after a week or two.
While it was really painful I used Anbesol liquid on that spot, which is an OTC local anaethetic for mouth sores. Maybe something like that might help till it gets better, if it's bothering you?

Hope it soon goes away.

ABraces2007

#4 Post by ABraces2007 »

I do wear TPA as well, and at the beginning my tongue was so much sore as well, i didn`t do anything, however, i just waited. It was over in a week or so, now i`m totally accustomed to my TPA , can eat and talk normally, i don`t even remember it is in my mouth...
i`ve been wearing TPA for 3 months already, and i don`t know how much longer it would stay.

chlorine23

#5 Post by chlorine23 »

Wow, 3 months. I know I'll have my that long or longer, but that's just hard to imagine. I think it's been almost 1 month now, maybe 3 weeks. Now this thing on my tongue is totally white. I think it's a calous. Can you get those on your tongue? It's not as sore now, but now I have two regular sores on my tongue, but since I've had them before without the TPA it's not really much of a concern. Now I'm wondering if maybe this thing on my tongue is permanent. It's a white pimple thing. Kinda hard. Not really on it's way out I don't think.

Thanks for the responses!

ABraces2007

#6 Post by ABraces2007 »

chlorine, i think you should say about the bothering thing to your ortho, if they say it`s ok, then at least you feel fine about having it and you`ll know it will be gone one day.
The first month i felt more uncomfortable about the food stucking in my TPA, not about the tongue sores, as i told you, my tongue sores last for about a week or so.
i think i`ll have it much more too, cause the last time i asked my ortho for how long was it going to stay there, she just smiled and said, well, for now it should be there, so, i understood there was no thoughts of taking it out.