eating with front teeth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

candycin

eating with front teeth

#1 Post by candycin »

Should i be able to bite food with my front teeth? I am not talking about hard things like apples but like pizza,hamburger,hotdogs?
After almost a month I am still a little sore but mostly scared to knock off a bracket.
help i want to eat like a normal person

Ives

#2 Post by Ives »

I'm on week five and am able to eat everything ok. I do have a little tenderness in my front teeth but not bad. I can't rip into anything like pre braces but thats ok. You will eventually get there. The veterans on this board will tell you to eat through the pain, it's very good advice .
Before long you'll be eating normal. As far as the brackets coming off, it's never happened to me and I just finished chewing up a milky way bar with no problems. I don't think eating will make brackets pop off except for maybe taffy or really hard food you have to crunch down hard on.

God Luck

Ives
Braced March 1st 07

Cor1

If ya can go for it!!

#3 Post by Cor1 »

Hi there I have been braced since July 06, and haven't been able to bite with my front teeth since, but I do also have two turbo bites on the back of my two front teeth, which kinda makes it impossible to anyways!!

But if ya can, I sure would, it is surprising how much you can miss something when you can't do it!! I would sooooooooooo luv just to bite down into something with my front teeth!!! I NOW HAVE TWO BASIC LIFE EATING ESSENTIALS THAT I MUST ALWAYS HAVE.................A FORK AND A KNIFE!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Good luck

Cor1

phanta

#4 Post by phanta »

I just started biting a few "non-threatening" things with my front teeth about a month ago (almost a year into the treatment). They were way too achy before that.

Eventually you should be able to do it, but how soon will probably depend on your treatment and pain level.

My Braces Story at www.bracedblog.com

Betty Bat

#5 Post by Betty Bat »

I'll agree with Phanta. It was really interesting eating post-braces. I could chew practically everything from the beginning, but I found that I had problems biting into things. So, I cut everything up, like Cor1 - apples, sandwiches, ...

One of the first things I could bite into was a banana and that was a real triumph. Now, I can eat most sandwiches, but I find that the bread and the whatever-else gets stuck in my front brackets. It's not very comfortable and it's not a pretty site, I'm sure.

I keep telling folks that the first thing I'm going to eat when my braces come off is a big, juicy hamburger - and I'm not going to cut it up first!

lionfish

#6 Post by lionfish »

Now, I can eat most sandwiches, but I find that the bread and the whatever-else gets stuck in my front brackets.
Tell me about it...

I had a ham sandwich for lunch and could feel the bread seeking out the brackets like a missile. Urgh. White bread is the worst.

ABraces2007

#7 Post by ABraces2007 »

i agree, lionfish.
i tecnically can bite something really soft, like filet-o-fish and soft tuna sandwich, but i just hate when food get stuck in my front brackets- it`s disgusting- what if you have to say something to other person and you have this white bread (or in worst case brownie) stuck in your front teeth- very ugly, right? So, i just choose an option to cut food into pieces, so, in this way my teeth don`t hurt neither food get stuck in an ugly way.. So, i just always ask to bring me a knife and a fork... and believe me, nobody showed me any bad expresion on their face, everybody understand you have to cut food, as you wear braces.

pink77blondie

#8 Post by pink77blondie »

I can't bite into food either normally! I have to cut or tear things up in bite size pieces!
[/url]

[/url]

bracesafter40

Re: eating with front teeth

#9 Post by bracesafter40 »

candycin wrote:Should i be able to bite food with my front teeth? I am not talking about hard things like apples but like pizza,hamburger,hotdogs?
After almost a month I am still a little sore but mostly scared to knock off a bracket.
help i want to eat like a normal person
Everyone is different. I'm like you Candycin, I could not bite a thing for at least three weeks! When I finally could it was actually pasta and fish and my under lip on the top paid for it as I was too excited to be able to bite something.

Now I can bite (6 weeks in braces yesterday), but I have to be very gentle and selective, so I use my side teeth to bite everything first after cutting them up really small. My upper fronts and lower fronts are still tender, but not as bad as when I first got braces. You should see me try to eat a sandwich, it is funny to watch :-). I stick to soft nutritious foods. I actually could eat nuts until I got my bottoms in last Wednesday; now there is no way I can eat a cashew nut without taking off a bracket in the back! Not to mention an Almond or a peanut...I recently bought cashew nut butter to satisfy my cashew nut craving.

I'm more worried about losing a bracket in the back (and I did lose one, but it was not glued on properly-story on the blog) than the front as my top teeth encroahes on the bottom teeth and the brackets at the bottom are really close to the top of my bottom teeth.
http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com
Bridge Sectioned: Feb. 14, 2007
Last Pre-braces cleaning: Feb. 20, 2007
#21 Extraction: Feb. 20, 2007
Sentenced: 32 months
Top Braced: Feb 28, 2007
Bottom Braced: Apr. 4, 2007
New Ortho on Apr. 25, 2008
May 6; fluorescent blue ligs incl. upper powerchains. 2 elastics; Sept. 2, 2008.
Next Adj.: July 7, 2009 at 8:30a

LithpingLitha

#10 Post by LithpingLitha »

I'm in the same boat!
I experience excruciating pain when biting into firm foods with my centrals. :soremouth:
I can eat bananas and soft pbj sandwiches, sorta. :wink:
The pain is caused by the incisors being brought to the front and pushed up into my gum line.
The centrals are where the majority of my tooth movement is happening, and it's happening quickly, yay!
I hope they stabilize in a few months so that I bite into firmer foods.
22 months in treatment (upper ceramics, gelb on lower arch and then self-ligating brackets), hawley retainers
LithpingLitha's Braces Story

jenfire

#11 Post by jenfire »

I have also had problems biting with my front teeth because of my open bite. After a few hours with elastics, the bite closed a bit and now it is much easier for me to bite into a sandwich or pizza.
Ceramic Braces and RPE, estimated treatment 18 months

Dovechild20

#12 Post by Dovechild20 »

i have issues biting with my two front teeth right now too, but like Kiwi says, i try not to baby them too much.

The new problems im having now is sensitivity to cold. OMG, that hurts so bad to bite into a soft taco and your front teeth find the very cold sour cream and guacomole! OUCH!!!!

Mommynbraces

#13 Post by Mommynbraces »

I am having problems eating with the two fronts and eating on the molars with the bands. should the bands be hurting when I chew on the molars with the bands?

Spacers placed: March 13th 2007
Teeth Cleaned: March 20th 2007
Braced: April 3rd 2007

SnowSara

#14 Post by SnowSara »

The new problems im having now is sensitivity to cold. OMG, that hurts so bad to bite into a soft taco and your front teeth find the very cold sour cream and guacomole! OUCH!!!!
I've had to use sensitivity toothpaste for years, and have found that Crest's new "pro-health" toothpaste which includes protection from sensitivity works the best for me. I started using that toothpaste a couple of months before getting braces and I've had no temperature sensitivity issues, and this girl used not to be able to eat ice cream unless is was almost melted!

This winter I had a new experience: the feeling of frigid air on my metal braces. I'm sure without the sensitivity protection it would have hurt quite a bit!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

cowlypso

#15 Post by cowlypso »

It's just been in the past few weeks that I can do any biting with the fronts. And I'm not sure how much of it is biting, and how much of it is just sort of holding on while I tear... I guess it beats breaking my granola bars into little pieces with my hands before popping them into my mouth.